TEXT: 2 Timothy 3:1-4:2
THIS VERSE DEFINES BIBLICAL MINISTRY IN ONE ESSENTIAL COMMAND
2 Timothy 4:2 and (2 Timothy 2:24 cf) “Apt (suited for, skillful) to teach.”
- 2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; (i.e. there is no time that you would not) Why? To…. reprove, rebuke, exhort. (And how do we do this?) with all longsuffering and doctrine.
- Confront error and sin. Teach sound doctrine and godly living.
- Encourage people to be obedient to the Word
- Have great patience in allowing them the time to develop maturity in their obedience.
Matthew 4:4 “But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.”
- Teaching every Word, and to bring every soul to the truth of God. Book by book, chapter by chapter, verse by verse, and word by word.
WHY ARE WE TO PREACH THE WORD: EXPOSITIONALLY?
1. Because of the danger of the season. 2Ti 3:1 “This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.” The truth of God’s Word is going to be threatened, the gospel is going to be threatened, and it is going to get worse and worse. 2 Tim 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.”
A brief history of the effort of trying to discredit the Word of God. The destruction of the church is very well-designed, they are ideological ideas that have being around from the beginning of time. (its in the sermon presentation)
THE BRINGING DOWN OF THESE IDEOLOGICAL FORTIFICATIONS IS THE TASK AT HAND. The truth is not easy to understand regarding the issues that we face daily in our society.
- 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
Today there is a disregard for discernment and a growing disregard for doctrine.
WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE ARE BEHIND THESE DANGEROUS SEASONS?
- 2 Timothy 3:2-5. 1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; “having a form of godliness but denying its power.”
These people (personalities) come into our homes, offices, workplace, and they get in there by the media, Internet, iPhone, Blackberry, and target children and women. And they try to teach but never come to the Truth.
DID YOU KNOW, IT’S NOT EASY TO UNDERSTAND WHAT REALLY IS GOING ON IN OUR SOCIETY. Satan’s deceptions are well covered up and often you can’t figure out what really is Satan’s plan against the church.
THEREFORE WE PREACH THE WORD SO THAT MAN MAY COME TO KNOW THE TRUTH AND TO SET FREE THE CAPTIVES HELD IN THE FORTRESSES.
It is our purpose as the Pastor/Teacher to try to understand the times we live in, and the deceptions that Satan is building to bring into captivity the souls of man.