Friday, July 25, 2008

RETURNING TO THE PASTORATED

THE DIRECTION OF PASTORAL MINISTRY

SOME THINGS I HAVE LEARNED OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS

ABOUT THE MINISTRY OF THE PASTOR/TEACHER

IF you cannot trust God for the work of the ministry, then you are going to be in trouble. I return to the pastorate as Pastor/Teacher this month, and there are a few things I have learned over the last five years that I will try to implement in the ministry,

  1. I will try to greet each one who comes into the services of Rivers of Joy Baptist Church. Charity and I will greet each person at the end of the services as they leave the building. I remember at Ashland Ave Baptist Church, Hershael and Tanya York would greet hundreds as they left the auditorium. This idea of standing in front after you preach is not one that I will practice. I will take the heat after I preach by visiting with those who come to hear me preach.


  2. Rivers of Joy Baptist Church will be a safe haven for men and their families who have been hurt by the ministry. Those pastors and preachers who have been fired or removed from ministry will be welcome. Those who have been in ministry that are looking for a place to get refreshed, who need to be revived in their spirit, will find encouragement at our church.


  3. I know I will fail to fulfill some of the expectations from my family, myself, and the church family, and most of all the Lord , but it’s my desire that I will be a blessing to those who come to worship the Lord. I am not perfect. My wife is not perfect. My children are not perfect. We are His “work in progress.”


  4. I have been known to have a passion for ministry, and that has been viewed as a negative in some circles; but I will assure you that I will have passion for the ministry the Lord has given me at Rivers of Joy Baptist Church. It’s the Kyle Bush of NASCAR run all the races in one weekend syndrome. For me, Sunday School, morning and evening services and Wednesday service syndrome.


  5. I have been known that I cannot come to the church building without a hand and arm full of three-ring notebooks. This will continue to happen. I always have something to read, study or talk about. And if someone stops to say “What do you have today?” I will be glad to tell you.


  6. I have been known that I like to have conversations with people about doctrine, ministry, teaching, and about what is going on in their lives. This practice will continue.


  7. My office at the church will be open for those who want to talk. I, or Charity, or both will be glad to talk to those who have a spiritual need, who desire biblical counsel.


  8. I will be prepared to teach and preach the Word as I have always been. And I will ask all those who are serving the Lord in Rivers of Joy Baptist Church to be as prepared.

  • This is going to be the hardest task for me, and that is, when I am in the pulpit (as it is called) I want to only address the Word of God. I have a problem, I think I need to address needs of the church body from the pulpit. I need another forum when addressing the needs of the church body.


  • Lastly in this list. I am sure I am going to fail short a few times in this area, but I will do my best to make everyone know that I appreciate them, and love them, and want to be their pastor.

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...