Charles E Whisnant
I am the Pastor/Teacher of Rivers of Joy Baptist Church in Minford, Ohio since August 2008. I am married to Charity since June 14, 1969. I have four grown children. Having served in the local church for over forty years as Pastor/Teacher, Asso., Youth Pastor, Minister of Education, Building Upkeep, Camp Director, Sunday School Teacher, etc. Also I have worked in the public place for as many years as I have preached. Charity and her sister are co owner of Union Mills Conf. (Bakery) in West Portsmouth Ohio
And that has been the position increasingly, especially since the last war, with the cult of self
Clearly morality cannot help, for it leaves us precisely and exactly what and where we were.
And in the same way it has no enabling power to give us.
For once they are placed in their right positions the situation is entirely changed. In precisely the same way as morality alone fails, the Gospel of Christ succeeds.
Religion must precede morality if morality itself is to survive.
KEPT or PROTECTED (5432)
5. sober conveys
- idea of freedom from excitability (a contrast to the excitement of drunkenness)
- thus means to be calm and collected in spirit,
- temperate (marked by moderation, keeping within limits, not extreme or excessive), not given to excessive indulgence in drink or any other activity,
- dispassionate (not influenced by strong feeling; especially not affected by personal or emotional involvement),
- circumspect (careful to consider all circumstances and possible consequences, prudently watchful and discreet in the face of danger or risk), with
- equanimity (evenness of mind especially under stress and suggests a habit of mind that is only rarely disturbed under great strain),
- cool (marked by steady dispassionate calmness and self-control) and unimpassioned