Charles E Whisnant
I am the Pastor/Teacher of Rivers of Joy Baptist Church in Minford, Ohio since August 2008. I am married to Charity since June 14, 1969. I have four grown children. Having served in the local church for over forty years as Pastor/Teacher, Asso., Youth Pastor, Minister of Education, Building Upkeep, Camp Director, Sunday School Teacher, etc. Also I have worked in the public place for as many years as I have preached. Charity and her sister are co owner of Union Mills Conf. (Bakery) in West Portsmouth Ohio
What a great day: I was up at 5 a.m. and had a great cup of good coffee, well several cups of coffee. Then woke Charity up and she was off to work around 7 a.m. I worked around the house in the morning. I finished the outline for Sunday night. Finished the church bulletin as well.
I have uploaded Sunday Evenings video sermon from Romans 1:7, started this process around noon and as of 6:45 p.m. two are ready and the third will be soon.
I picked up Charity at 1 p.m. and had lunch at Mex Itali with Kindra and Debbie. Then went to Kroger with Charity and I printed out some great photos. Finally back to the house by 2:30.
I went to the church and visited some members and printed the outlines for Sunday's messages and the church bulletin. And while I was moving some old tapes from the passed, I came across a tape from Victory Baptist Church in 1974. Oh my, that was interesting to listen to. Goodness.
Finally I arrived back home, and Charity had a nice supper. Now I am finishing up this post and will call it a day.
Hope the Yankees win tonight. Ohio State won over a AAA team. 45-0.
Its now 7:32 and 14 hours later, I believe I will take off my tie.
It has being a great day. Romans 1:7 and Philippians 2:8-9 great text for Sunday.
Charity is getting a little supper ready, and we will rest a minute before we call this a great day.
When I began this series from Genesis back in Februay, I didn't know I would be still teaching in the series in November. But I am known for long series.
"Let me explain the problem science has with Jesus Christ." The atheist professor of philosophy pauses before his class and then asks one of his new students to stand. "You're a Christian, aren't ou son."
"So you believe in God?"
"Is God good?"
"Sure! God's good."
"Is God all-powerful? Can God do anything."
"Are you good or evil?"
"The Bible says I'm evil."
The professor grins knowingly "Ahh! THE BIBLE!" He considers for a moment. "Here's one for you. Let's say there is a sick person over here and you can cure him. You can do it. Would you help them? Would you try?"
"Yes sir, I would."
"So you're good...!"
"I would say that."
"Why not say that? You would help a sick and maimed person if you could..in fact most of us would if we could..... God doesn't."
Well that is not the end of the talk between the professor and student, but you get the point.
The truth is, if you don't understand Genesis 3 you might not understand the rest of the Bible.
- You can not know the solution to the problem, unless you know what the problem is.
- You can not know the cure unless you know the right diagnosis.
- You will never be able to know God's remedy for this world, if you don't know and understand the difficulty wunder which this world lives and functions.
Well I am well into this study and much has been said about this matter of evil and sin and how all went wrong after God had made a perfect universe and world, and earth, and man and woman.
After teaching six months on God's creation of the world, so perfect, then to have to spent another few months on how the devil destroyed this who world and everyone in it. How can that have happen?
How was it that every think was "very good," at the end of Genesis 1 and then we come to chapter three and every thing we wrong?
What went wrong. It's like man has fallen from heaven without a parachute, and he sinking at a speed toward hell with nothing to stop him.
What happen in Genesis 3:1-7?
Sin entered into the world for the first time.
Satan entered into the Garden of Eden. And the devil has not left mankind along since then.
Everything wrong is because of sin. And any accurate understanding of the way things are in the earth demands an understanding of sin. Without us knowing the events in Genesis three is not going to be a right view of how it is today in our world. Romans 8:21-22
You and I are not the way God inteneded us to be. We have become "slavery to corrupltion."
So how did all this happen? Was it all God's fault? Is God the creator of Evil and Sin?
So you might need to read the outlines and maybe when you have time to listen to the videos on this subject.SO WHAT HOW DID SATAN GET EVE TO DISOBEY GOD?
October 28 2009 Charles E. Whisnant, teaches from Genesis 3:1-7 on How Satan got Eve to Sin and disobey God in the Garden of Eden. one of five.,
For the first time ever, what is driving her is her satisfaction. And that's when sin moves from the mind into the feeling. She's already sinned in the mind, but now the sin is going to work on her emotionally. And it's going to conceive. And it's going to bring forth evil, disobedient behavior, and that will produce death in exactly the pattern of James 1:14 and 15. This is the self-seduction. This is where the feelings follow the mind. Look how it unfolds in Verse 6: "When the woman saw that the tree was good for food" -- that's not intellectual.
We as pastors of small churches, (really small in numbers) sometimes are overwhelmed when even smaller number of people come. Today could have been such a day for me. But before the day was over, my focus was on the Lord and had a great time of fellowship.
Too often pastors will express their disappointment over the offering, or attendance, or general attitude of the people. Satan likes to do that to you, you know. The pastor will spend a lot of time just complaining how bad he believes the people are for not doing more for the Lord.
I am grateful for the spirit of our people, I am grateful for their faithfulness. I am grateful that they love the Lord and want to come to all our services. I am glad they want to hear and learn the Word of God. We really have a great group of people.
So today rather than getting down because Bob was not here, and Bill Bower has been sick for several weeks, that we would do the best we could do. And Bill Bower and I made a great team today. Johnny Edwards is a God sent servant of the Lord. He has been sick, his wife is not well either, but Johnny is still full of the spirit of the Lord in his singing and testimony for the Lord. Pauline and Johnny had a great special singing. We had a few visitors today.
Janet Ramey worked hard on Saturday to give the kids a good time of fun. Then she got them to come to church on Sunday. Then one of her grand kids sung a special song tonight and that was very encouraging.
So when the day was over, the Lord once again showed Himself as God and encouraged our hearts with His love and care and grace.
We are a blessed people.
Enjoyed teaching this morning in our Bible study time. "IN TIMES OF SPIRITUAL EXTREME ANXIETY WHAT DO YOU DO? And we talked about the Latin term: Coram Deo. Colossians 1:24, 1 Peter 2:21, 1 Peter 3:18, Philippians 3:10
In the morning hour I taught from Philippians 2:5 'WHAT IS THE MEAN OF THE INCARNATION OF JESUS CHRIST." Jesus Christ became like us in order that we might become like Him. The eternal God came to earth in human form as Jesus Christ. (sermon outline and video come this week.)
Sunday Evening we went to Romans 1:5 and finished up with the 'THE PRIVILEGE OF THE GOSPEL." Romans 8:38-39
Then a great time of fellowship after the service.
So by the time the day Charity and I got back to the house, we were encouraged in the Lord.
- 1947-1950 (?) Born and lived in Lynchburg, Virginia
- 1950-1966 Lived and went to school in Roanoke, Virginia. Roanoke Baptist Temple
- 1966-1966 After Dad died we moved to Danville, Virginia
- 8/66 1/70 Bible Baptist Seminary in Arlington Texas
- June 14 1969 Married Charity
- Places I have worked in Ministry Fort Worth, Texas
- Wooster, Ohio
- Minford, Ohio - Madison Baptist Church
- Mansfield, Ohio, Perryville, Ohio
- Fort Worth, Texas
- Connersville, Indiana
- Cedar Lake, Indiana Hyles-Anderson College
- 3/1980 7/1996 Pastor/teacher First Baptist Church, Altoona, Kansas
- 7/1996- 2001 Lexington, Kentucky
- 3/2001 - presently living Portsmouth Ohio
- Currently Pastor/Teacher Minford, Ohio - Rivers of Joy Baptist Church
- I will say I worked the longest while Pastor at FBC in Altoona, Ks. For ten years I worked in Fredonia, Kansas at a Nursing Home. Love the time with the older folks.
- And I worked in Lexington, Kentucky at a number of part times jobs. 1996-2001
- Moving to Portsmouth, Ohio in 2001. Worked only at Mex Itali part time for two years.
- As of October 2009 I will be helping Charity at Union Mills, and riding the John Deere 850.
- As I look back, I was saved by God's grace in 1954. At the time I didn't know what grace was. I didn't know John 3:16 either. What I knew, I wanted Jesus to save me. And you know He did. And for all these years, He is still working in my life.
- Christ called me to be His servant. I first worked with my Dad in his church when I was a teenager and did until Dad died in 1966.
- I have had the privilege to serve in a number of ministries and work in the secular workplace for which I am glad.
- Charity and I have been married for 40 years as of June 20009.
- Charity and I have four adult children, Eric, Becky, Chad and Kyle.
- Now we have a grand child by Eric and Leslie, and later this year another grandchild by Kyle and Brittney.
I trust that the Lord will continue to use us as His servant.
Charles E. Whisnant, October 17, 2009
From October 17 2009, Charles speakes from Philippians 2:3-4
Part 3 or 4 from Charles E. Whisnant, message on the necessary of unity in the Church
Dad died at 62 I believe. I thought he was born in 1904 some say 1902. Nevertheless he is with the Lord today. So since I am not making million of dollars I will just take the money now.
God's grace, gave great gain, glorified, gladness, gathering. godliness, and grace.
Roanoke Baptist Temple, Ronaoke, Virginia
The papers on this post are the original papers that I had in 1966. I have keep them now for these 43 years. I have always viewed ministry as people and not numbers. I believe I have names of most of the youth who have attended our classes over the last 43 yearss of ministry.
I would love to know where these youth are today? I know of a few. I know some are in ministry and still serving the Lord. That is what it is all about.
Last night I drove over to Union Mills to pick up Charity after a 12 hour marathon. We are glad business is good. They were working on orders for Satursday. Well, the time was 9:30 p.m. Wendy was still open, so I ordered a Junior Cheeseburger. That was good.
I had just finished typing up the outline on Philippians 2 for Sunday night. I really like doing outlines of the sermons. While I had previous taught on Philippians when I was at First Baptist Church in Altoona, Kansas back in 1992, the manuscript was still good.
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3:16
The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Psalms 12:6
Of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31\
There is cause for praise. PRAISE.
- An expression of faith
- A declaration of victory
- It declares that we believe God is with us. Romans 8:28
- Is a "sacrifice"something we offer to God sacrificially, not just because we feel like it but because we believe in Him and wish to please Him.
- Hebrews 13:15.
- Psalms 139:14
- And my soul knows right well. We are no agnostic, we know.
- We are no doubter, our soul knows
- We are no dupe, our soul knows right well.
This I have learned quite well, we are made to know Him. And to know God, to know his Son, Jesus Christ, to know Him as Savior and Lord is enough to give us praise all the day long.
How do I want to say this? Sometimes it's necessary to leave your home church. (all accept ours course) There is a time when you need to find a church that you can grow spiritually. There is a time that the leadership has just brought you down to the low end of your spiritual energy. And sometimes you don't even know how low you are running on.
There are many reasons that I could give for the need to change, but one would be, there is no energy of the Spirit in the leadership. I discovered that you don't use your people to build the church but you use the church to build up your people. Sometimes the people are so over worked and under feed spiritual with the Word that they are running on low energy fuel.
Just because a person is working hard in the church, active in singing in the choir, teaching a Sunday School class, working in children church, doesn't mean the person is healthy spiritually. Most of the time the case is they are just about dead spiritually.
And too often the person does not want to leave their home church. And they are sacrificing their spiritual life for the comfort of a home church that they are dying in.
Sometimes people are already nearly dead spiritually anyway so they are not aware of their condition. Some may be busy in their own world of working in the church, but its all form and motion and not spiritual to their spiritual health.
I have often gone to churches that were one step away from death. To try to revive the life that should be flowing in the body of the church was a challenge. What I would discover, the people were hungry for spiritual food, and would soak in the spiritual energy given to them.
Often the issue was not the people, but the preacher before I came. In come cases the preacher that was in the church when I came as an assoc. was lifeless himself.
I am not sure why preachers do not take time to see the spiritual condition of the flock that they have in the church. Some preachers have no energy to pastor. Some preachers get mad that the people are not working hard enough so they shout, fuss, and carry on about the lack of work in the church. Some preachers do not have a clue what the matter is.
Often when I have come and after a time, there is new life been put into the body of the people and there is new life springing up in the church. Then you can see healthy people again, there is spiritual growth as well as new people coming. The church body grows and stays healthy.
In the cases where the preacher gets his feelings hurt and doesn't like what he believes is against his leadership, he will ask that I leave. Only to see the church go back into the condition the church was before.
In this case in my thinking, its time to look for another church. Don't die before you time. There is life in other churches believe me.
WHAT KIND OF CHURCH THAT I MIGHT NOT NECESSARILY BE ONE I WOULD ATTEND.
- The church does not need hype and emotion, and excessive entertainment.
- The church does not necessary need to be large
- The church does not necessary need to have a big building.
- The church does need to provide the means whereby the people can grow in the nurture of the Lord.
- A church that has a large crowd does not necessarily say that the church is healthy.
- A feel good church service is not necessarily to say its the right kind of church to attend.
- A church that has a large group of kids, does not necessarily say they have a healthy church.
- A church that says they have 100's saved and baptized every year, is not necessarily a health church.
- A church might not have the best singing in the community, might not have the best youth ministry, might not have the best children ministry.
- A church might be one of the smallest church in the community and be a health church.
- A church needs a pastor and not just a preacher.
- A church needs a pastor who is a teacher of the Word of God.
- A church needs to provide spiritual food for the opportunity for spiritual growth.
- A church needs to have set before them the objectives and goals that will bring glory to the Lord and spiritual growth to its members.
THINGS I WOULD LOOK FOR WHEN I ATTEND ANY CHURCH WITH THE IDEA OF ATTENDING THAT CHURCH FOR THE FIRST TIME.
- What is the atmosphere as you enter into the church building?
- What is the atmosphere as you enter into the worship service?
- Listen to the music with your spirit not with your emotions.
- Listen to the sermon. Is the message from the Bible text quoted by the preacher.
- I would not necessarily look at the number of people attending.
- It is not necessarily going to be like the last church you attended.
- It is not likely going to feel like the last church you attended.
- It is not likely to meet your every expectations that you were hoping for.
- It is going to feel strange and different. Which could be good.
- The music and preaching might be different than what you had expected.
- Sometimes it takes time to grow to like the right kind of church.
As I write the outline on Miscsoft Word and save the doc. then uploaded it to Slideshare
Another view of the outline is located on Window Live. This is so great to have available.
The videos are put on Kodak EasyShare than up loaded to Vimeo, then hear are on
For Me To Live is Christ Its just great to be able to do this on the web.
So until next time I will sign out, as the Reds lose to St Louis 13-0. The game ended at 3:45 p.m.