André Léon Marie Nicolas Rieu (born 1 October 1949) is a Dutch violinist and conductor best known for creating the waltz-playing Johann Strauss Orchestra.
André Rieu and the Johann Strauss Orchestra have turned classical and
waltz music into a worldwide concert touring music act, as successful as
some of the biggest global pop and rock music acts.
THE PURPOSE OF GOD DEALING WITH ISRAEL AS HE DID
ROMANS 11:26-32 #192
Charles e Whisnant, April 06 2014
HOW THE UNFOLDING OF SALVATION WAS FOR THE GLORY OF GOD
God has an in comprehendible mind: Isaiah 55:8-9. This whole story of chapter 11 gives us the wonderful mind of God. Isaiah 7:19 and Psalms 92:5
The Purpose of the Setting Aside of Israel: vs. 36 "The Glory of God."
The ultimate purpose is not salvation, it is only the means to the ultimate purpose which is the glory of God. It is not the nation of Israel, it is not the Gentiles getting into the church, it is not the kingdom which is to come, all those are a means to show the glory of God.
Psalm 19; Isaiah 43:20; I Corinthians 10:31
What does it mean to glorify God?
Acts 7:2, Isaiah 6 (one of my favorite chapters)
God has a nature that can not be stripped of its character.
How to give God glory? By recognizing Him as God. And for God's work: I Chronicles 16, Jeremiah 13:11, 16; Daniel 4, Acts 12. Isaiah 43:21
FOUR ATTRIBUTES OF GOD:
1A GOD'S SOVEREIGNTY: 11:26A
AND THIS IS MY COVENANT WITH THEM, WHEN I TAKE AWAY THEIR SINS:
(Isaiah 55:3; 59:21; Jeremiah 31:31-40; Hebrews 8:8,-10-12-Hebrews 10:16- (Isaiah 27:9; Hosea 14:2; John 1:29)
2A GOD'S INTEGRITY: 11:26B, 27, 28, 29
FROM THE STANDPOINT OF THE GOSPEL THEY ARE ENEMIES FOR YOUR SAKE vs 28
(Ro 11:11,30; Matthew 21:43; Acts 13:45,46; 14:2; 18:6; 1Thessalonians 2:15,16)
Hebrews 10:23, Second Peter 3:9, Genesis 15:18, Isaiah 59:20-21
Gospel (2098)(euaggelion from eú = good + aggéllo = proclaim, tell) is literally good news or glad tidings. For a concise definition of the Gospel read 1 Corinthians 15:1-8
"for your sake" takes us back to the 11 -12 where Israel's stumbling was for the Gentile's sake in that it made salvation available to the Gentiles.
BUT FROM THE STANDPOINT OF GOD'S CHOICE THEY ARE BELOVED FOR THE SAKE OF THE FATHERS: vs 28
(Ro 11:7; Isaiah 41:8,9) (Genesis 26:4; 28:14; Leviticus 26:40-42; Deuteronomy 4:31; 7:7,8; 8:18; 9:5; 10:15; Psalms 105:8-11; Jeremiah 31:3; Micah 7:20; Luke
I Chronicles 16:23- 36, First Timothy 1:17; Philippians 1:9-11, Second Corinthians 4:15, Acts 15:14; Ephesians 3:10 Deutermony 7:9; Second Timothy 2:15; Psalms 36:5; 119:38; First Thess. 5:24
3A GOD'S GENEROSITY: 11:30-32
FOR THE GIFTS AND THE CALLING OF GOD ARE IRREVOCABLE:
Psalms 136; I Kings 8:6; Psalms 86:5; Luke 1:;78; First Peter 1:3. Psalms 59:16
(Hosea 13:14) Mal 3:6 ) “
For I, the LORD, do not change; therefore you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed. Nu 23:19 “God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent; Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?
IN ORDER THAT BECAUSE OF THE MERCY SHOWN TO YOU (Gentiles) THEY (Jews) ALSO MAY NOW BE SHOWN MERCY:
Mercy (1656)(eleos) is the outward manifestation of pity and assumes need on the part of those who are recipients of the mercy and sufficient resources to meet the need on the part of those who show it. The idea of mercy is to show kindness or concern for someone in serious need or to give help to the wretched, to relieve the miserable. Here the essential thought is that mercy gives attention to those in misery.
4A GOD'S INCOMPREHENSIBILITY 11:33
The wonderful doxology of praise to God for His unsearchable judgments.
Job 5:9 He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted.
Job 11:7 Can you fathom the mysteries of God? Can you probe the limits of the Almighty?
Job 15:8 Do you listen in on God's council? Do you have a monopoly on wisdom?
Job 37:23 The Almighty is beyond our reach and exalted in power; in his justice and great righteousness, he does not oppress.
Psalm 36:6 Your righteousness is like the highest mountains, your justice like the great deep. You, LORD, preserve both people and animals.
Psalm 92:5 How great are your works, LORD, how profound your thoughts!
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
Psalm 145:3 Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.
Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.
Ecclesiastes 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
Ecclesiastes 7:24 Whatever exists is far off and most profound-- who can discover it?
Ecclesiastes 8:17 then I saw all that God has done. No one can comprehend what goes on under the sun. Despite all their efforts to search it out, no one can discover its meaning. Even if the wise claim they know, they cannot really comprehend it.
Isaiah 28:29 All this also comes from the LORD Almighty, whose plan is wonderful, whose wisdom is magnificent.
Isaiah 40:28; Romans 2:4; I Corinthians 2:10; Ephesians 3:8; Colossians 2:3
ARE CHRISTIANS TO VIEW ANY FILM IN ANY FORM THAT IS PRESENTED AS A BIBLICAL NARRATIVES AND IS DISTORTED
- renounced the hidden things of dishonesty,
- not walking in craftiness,
- not handling the word of God deceitfully;
- but by manifestation of the truth, commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.'
- By taking the text out of context. Al Moher talks about this in his article.
- By moralizing the text. You can see many times in the film this is done.
- By taking the text or for this article the film to make your own point, or to promote your own hobbyhorses
- By making clear that the text or the film is saying things that the text is not saying, nor is it even implied in the story.
- By make making the story more acceptable, or said more clever and popular.
- Added a very great deal to the Bible's account of Noah in Genesis: In itself that is not a problem.
- “The film completely accepts the text, the four chapter in Genesis as truth.”
- Dramatically dramatize it. (Much like some sermon we hear.)
- Simply adding to the narrative is not necessarily wrong, since there is so little in the narrative account. That is not the real problem.
- What they did is distort it to the uttermost, even may not intending to do so.
- The problem is how they expand the narrative, even when we accept the fact that a film make has to invent dialogue and embellish the narrative.
- They clearly decided to change key elements, rejecting the Bible's account in some respects.
- Methuselah would give Noah a hallucinogenic potion so that he can hallucinate God's will, is a little strange.
- But the odd elements are not the problem??? the movie's message is.
- The way that message distorts the Genesis account is a far larger problem when it become clear that the misrepresentation extends to the master narrative of the Bible – including the character of God.
- One example: Noah is introduced as a kind and caring family man, but his divine assignment truths the movie's Noah into a sociopathic monster. There is no scripture that presented Noah as a murderous sociopathic.
- Here the movie veers into a radical distortion of the biblical account. Noah is now depicted as a madman ready to murder his own grandchildren I order to end humanity.
- To missed the point is one thing but to corrupt it is really mad.
- Then to leave out some of the points of the narrative. Like the covenant.
- The shaping of the story to fit the theory of evolution, right down to the animation is not subtle.
- The bible by the way presents God as the central actor in the story not Noah.