There are true professional academic theologians, which we are very glad to have, but then because there are "professionals" it should not cause us to not strive to think theologically, and strive to be a theologian.
So the definition from the dictionary of "theologian" an expert in or student of theology. So we can all be a student of theology. The study of God, and all the ologies of study.
- "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
On the other hand, a Church quote could read like this:
- "Give a man (or woman) a sermon and you feed them for a day. Teach a man (or woman) to study Scripture on their own and you feed them for a lifetime."
- "Less successful teachers see students as tanks ready to be filled. Good teachers see students as model constructors who need help in reconstructing the model that is already at work in their head. Learners undergo deep-seated transformations and affect heart and mind and lead to continued growth. So, good teachers see the classroom as a place for intellectual development instead of just absorbing information from the teacher/ master/ scholar. "
- In other words we as preachers and teachers, there is need to be training and encouraging people to learn the skills to learn the Scriptures .
- My goal has always had the idea of training young Christians, old Christians, to know how to study and learn the Word of God.
- Some one said to me the other day, "Charles you taught us in our Adult Bible Fellowship Class" and she mention the point. That is the point to train Christan's to be theologian, so that they can answer the questions Martin Sheen (the president) raised.