Friday, August 08, 2008

EXPOSITON (PREACHING/TEACHING)

WHAT IS EXPOSITION PREACHING?
“Exposition [preaching] is unpacking what a particular text means and apply it to our congregation,”
First Timothy
The duties of a pastor/teacher

1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. 5
.

THIS BRIEF VERSE DEFINES BIBLICAL MINISTRY IN ONE CENTRAL COMMAND….. Preach the Word.


Along with that you could add 1 Timothy 3: where pastors and overseers and elders are to be didaktidos in the Greek, skilled in teaching and preaching. We are to preach the Word skillfully. That is our calling. And this verse is definitive as few others of that calling because it speaks so concisely and precisely…. PREACH THE WORD and “Apt to teach.” Vs 2 (2 Timothy 2:24 cf)

.

JESUS SAID in Matthew 4:4 4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.


Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. If every word of God is true an every word of God is pure as Scripture says and every word of God is food, then ever word of God is to be proclaimed.


This is called Biblical Exposition. And since 1983 I have followed this pattern to the best of my ability.

BEFORE KEY BOARD ON A GATEWAY 2007 THERE WAS THE PEN AND PAPER
Hand printing each manuscript sermon took a lot of time. When you print so you can read the material, that in itself took a lot of time. Not to mention the time to study the material

IN 1983 I DIDN'T HAVE THE RESOURCES THAT WE HAVE TODAY.
What we did have is books. I loved to study the books that I was going to preach. For example preaching Revelation, I had over 75 books on Revelation.
.
Also I had to build a biblical library of resource books. For example:
Linguistic Key to the Greek New Testament by Fritz Rienecker/Cleon Rogers
The long series in Matthew, over 250 sermons from 1983 to 1989.
I would spend time reading material on Matthew. I was learning how to do exposition preaching. Learning how to preach verse by verse and keep the whole book in view as you were teaching the chapter. Those early years of study, did take a lot longer than it would now. Thirty hours a week would be normal in the beginning. When you are not trained in this format, you needed more time.


Is it the right method to preach and teach? I believe so. I enjoy study of the Word.
Thank each of you in our church for your patience as I continue to grow in my skills to present the Word, rightly dividing the Word of God, one verse at a time.

PHOTOS:
1. Two manuscripts and by Dickson Bible
2. The plaque was made by Dave Greegor's dad, Mr. Greegor. They just had their 60th wedding annv. last week, Dave told me.
And the written sermon manuscripts I had while at First Baptist Church.
3. Sixty three ring binders of material on doctrines of the bible: Studied from 12003- present.
4. 18 of 21 volumes of the Book of Matthew Sermons. All hand written. The photo on top I am speaking early in 1980's the next one is in the pastor's office in 1990's.
.
Footnote.
I remember that my MOM would type, Bob Barber, Jr. sermons, and that was in 1966.
I remember having Sue Costen at FBC to type my already notes once.
Stay Tune folks. More to come.
.
Drafted on Friday night late.
Posted Saturday Morning at 3:16 a.m.
Charity went to the Bakery at 2:30 a.m.

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...