Thursday, May 01, 2008

PREACHING OR TEACHING THE WHOLE BOOK OF THE BIBLE
^
Dispensationalism: Doctrinal and Theological
But Not often heard in the pulpit.
^
Several people have said, "What is Charles taking about?" They have grown up in church and Sunday School, but they have not heard these terms.
^
When I preached or taught Revelation, I didn't just preach the first three chapers of the book, I taught all twenty two. When I preached or taught from Matthew, I didn't skip the chapters. Verse by verse, line by line, word by word....for over 250 messages that covered from 1982 to 1989. When I preached Ephesians I taught the whole book. My schedule was to explain the text, even if it took me a month to explain one verse.
.
Some pastors will avoid some chapters like my daughter Becky will avoid seeing a snake. Think of that! If you are teaching though a book, you should teach all of chapters and verses.
.
What often happens as I have seen, pastors, and even some writers, skip over, avoid comment on, and say very little on texts that they are not sure what it means, or they know, but don't want to say. They will skip chapters or verses that they know would bring disagreement with their members.
.
I made a commentment when preaching, I would preach the whole chapter, learn what it said, and if what I learned was different then what I had previous believed I would change my opinion. While you do bring into the text your previous opinion of the text, we all have presuppositional ideas, but you try to set them aside and learn what the scripture is saying, and I preached it.
.
I was usually not in a hurry to with a text. Its better to explain the meaning than leave it with questions.
.
Every book, every chapter, every verse has meaning that God would have us to learn.
.
Some pastors will say, "My members would get bored if I preached long in a book." My comment to that is, "Your membership don't love the Word."

Some churches only have one preaching service. The people must get bored with the preaching or teaching of the word. In FBC we preached in the AM, the PM and on WD. Our people loved the teaching of the Word.

Many church members want fillers, application, rather than interpretation.

.
Not proof read yet by my proof reader......

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...