Friday, September 05, 2008

PASTORS KEEPING ON TRACK

PASTORS NEED TO KEEP A RIGHT STATE OF MIND ABOUT HIS POSITION AS PASTOR
part five

The right theology – essential theology - in this matter of what are the key ingredients that make a good healthy Pastor. Getting the right state of mind about this position as Pastor of a local church is essential in doing it right and staying on track.

Having and keeping a right state of mind theologically about ministry has been a task, since you are inundated with so many different points of view about how to be a healthy pastor and have a great church. You are undoubtedly tempted to take another look at the ministry and your position as Pastor. You look at the church you attend or pastor and you see 20, 30 50, 100 people, and you see these other churches growing to 1000 and you are going to be tempted to say, “Am I doing high-quality ministry as a Pastor?” “Could I do a better?”

What are we willing to do to make greater impact on our community? And just how much are we willing to make that impact? Many are willing to transform themselves and their ministry to make a impact.

Many are saying, “What can we do to reach as many people as possible in our culture?”

Listen, when I see on the Internet these churches that are growing in number, and the number they say are getting saved, it’s a challenge to stay in the race. You can go to church on Sunday morning, and see a nearly empty church building. You try to get excited about 30 people coming. (By the way, I really can).

Of course I really loved when I was at FBC in Hammond, Indiana, and 6000 people were in one place. I would not be against that at all.

You view the websites of some of the churches that are growing and people are “getting saved” (that is a point that I would debate) and you might think about a different approach. They are very attractive and they are excellent in many ways.

What I am not willing to do, is to go against my inner spirit that I need to be different than what the Lord will allow me to be. But I know that the Lord has and is changing me to be more to His image that He would be pleased with.

What I need to be careful about, is changing my position, and character, and characteristics in order to get a crowd. I really do want to see God bring a group of folks to our church, I really do want to see God bring those whom He will bring to Himself for salvation. But I am not willing to take my tie off when I preach, or wear jeans to church on Sunday Night. (Maybe on Wednesday)

Cotton candy tastes good for a fraction of a second and then is gone. And the nutrional value of said cotton candy is zero. It is pretty and big, comes in different colors, and is interesting to watch as someone makes it. In the end it is good for carnivals and fairs, but no one eats it at the dinner table.” A comment I read this week on church growth methodology.

I am not willing to change my mostly expositional preaching to telling stories that are relevant to the culture, nor am I willing to use the “bait and switch” method of getting people to come to church. Nor am I willing to have Saturday Worship in order to get people in church. But I would serve pizza, I would have a Union Mills Bakery set up in the foyer and a friendly atmosphere. But I would not change the auditorium to look like a night club or coffee house atmosphere. Nor do I believe the auditorium should look like the 50’s either.

SO WHAT IS THE RIGHT WAY TO BE A PASTOR, AND BE RIGHT AS A PASTOR?

next post COMING


Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...