Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Culturally Contextualized or Historically Connected?

Culturally Contextualized or Historically Connected? (click on title)

And here’s the extended section from Darrin Patrick’s book:

One of the common errors of young men who surrender to ministry is to simply adopt the model of a church that they have experienced or idolized. A similar mistake is to blindly adopt the ministry philosophy and practice of a ministry hero. The man who is experiencing head confirmation is thoughtful about hisownphilosophy of ministry, his own ministry style, his own theological beliefs, his own unique gifts, abilities, and desires. In short, there is uniqueness to the way he wants to do ministry. (Church Planter, 37)

Well, let’s start with what John MacArthur said said in last Sunday’s interview with Phil Johnson:

My theology was framed up as not my own. You know there’s a new book on church planting, written by a guy named Darrin Patrick, and he says if you want to be an effective church planter, develop your own theology. You know, when I read that, I almost fell off the chair. What? I mean, can you think of anything worse than to have some guy develop his own theology? This is ultimate niche marketing, you know, develop your own style, your own wardrobe, and then your own theology.

The issue is: Should young pastors develop their own theolgical beliefs, and do their own kind of ministry without in put from their heroes of ministry?

I have for one I have copied about every preacher I have liked. Charity would say "Who are you going to be like this year." Smarty.

Well, I look to the established preachers? Paul said to Timothy, be like me and as you were taught.

I am waiting for the transcripts from these interviews.

You can read the book review here.

  • There are a few things I disagree with along the way. Patrick is one of those self-described Acts29 “Charismatics with a seatbelt” and that measured-but-still-obvious Charismatic bent is visible quite often throughout the book.


Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...