Tuesday, December 09, 2008

IS GOOGLE READER MAKING YOU STUPID




IS GOOGLE AND THE NET MAKING YOU STUPID Part One









What the Internet is doing to our brains

Is Google Making Us Stupid?
I have have used Google just about six months. Its addictive, really. "Just Google it." Who needs a library anymore! Who needs to read the newspaper anymore? Who needs to read books anymore? I have being on the Internet since October 2003. Its seems to be addictive. And an addiction sometimes is not recognized by the person who is addicted.

As I was on my Google Reader subscription list, where I receive the most current post from over 120 bloggers. I read Reading, Writing and The Internet , an article about the reading books verses reading articles on the Internet.

Who read today? If you are on the Internet you read. But many like the pictures or even the video. Newspapers are having a hard time selling papers it seems. Now they are putting the Newspaper online.

I’m not so sure the Internet’s influence is a huge problem, but I think we should all be aware as to just how much our reading habits are influenced by our Internet usage

"The book publisher Random House recently announced that it will be releasing thousands more of its books in digital format over the next few months. The idea is that while the market for regular ol' words-on-paper books is struggling, electronic books have grown by leaps and bounds over the past year, thanks to Amazon's Kindle among other things. "


I have always loving reading, of course as a preacher/teacher I do a lot of reading. Reading is required. But this article is not on reading, I will do that later.



The concern about the Internet and GOOGLE was, the possibility that our brain could be going. "I've had an uncomfortable sense that someone, or something, has been tinkering with my brain, remapping the neural circuitry, reprogramming the memory. My mind isn't going so far as i can tell, but it's changing." Micholas Carr.

"What the NET seems to be doing is chipping away my capacity for concentration and contemplation. My mind now expects to take in information the way the NET distribuetes it: in a swiftly moving stream of particles. Once I was a scuiba diver in the sea of words,. Now I zip along the surfact like a guy on Jet Ski." Micholas Carr.

I have found over the last year, Google has successful got me to try Google Reader. Its easy and fast to read one article at a time. Then there is Feedburner which gives you one article at a time. Fast and quick. Then I can just type in "Reading on the Internet" and I get a dozen articles links. Research is at your finger tips and Google.

The first three years that I was on the Internet I was able to log on to Monergism.com. This is a reformed website and has 1000's of articles taking from 1000's of books. I could not read each article as fast as I could find them. I didn't want to just glance over the articles by Spurgeon, Edwards, Boston, Calvin, Luther, etc. so I would download the articles for future reading.


In Seminary I bought a 20 volume series of Charles Spurgeon's sermons in 1966 or about $200. Today almost all of Spurgeon sermons are on line. You can see the volumes on the top shelf. I still have them 42 years later. You now can have all Spurgeon's sermons on CD in for a low price.


So would you rather have 20 volumes of Spurgeon and I have 26 volumes of Biblical Illustrator at a cost of $400 in 1980, now you can have for less than 1/4 of that today on a CD. What was I thinking.

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...