WE WILL HAVE FELLOWSHIP TIME AND BIBLE STUDY TONIGHT AT 6 P.M.
Mutual edification is the hallmark of corporate worship
- Certainly it is true that mutual edification is the hallmark of corporate worship . And edification must not be understood to be merely the cognitive reception of biblical truth through preaching. Of course, it is true that mutual edification takes place through preaching. But congregational singing, sitting together under the Word as it is read, contemplating God’s Word sung, uniting in Word-centered congregational prayer, corporately confessing our faith, and rebuke and exhortation — all these edify.
Kent Hughes in Worship by the Book, 141
- He states:“ …true worship is demonstrative: it pours from your heart, it infuses your inclinations to please God, and it directs your will to serve him. True worship is not the outcome of a moderate feeling or emotion. It galvanizes your whole being. In a word: it is encompassing!”~ Kent Hughes in Worship by the Book, p. 161-2
- Small groups Bible Study.
WHY WE HAVE SUNDAY MORNING CORPORATE WORSHIP INGATHERING AT 11 A.M. What can be the purpose corporate rather than priviate?
Therefore if the whole church assembles together .. what should happen?
- Hebrews 10:24-25 Union is strength; continual assemblings together beget and foster love, and give good opportunities for "provoking to good works," by "exhorting one another" Hebrews 3:13
- Worship goes on all the time, including when the people of God gather together. But mutual edification does not go on all the time; it is what takes place when Christians gather together. Edification is the best summary of what occurs in corporate singing, public prayer, the reading of Scripture, the preaching /teaching of the Word. And this is still worship
- The church gathered for fellowship and mutual edification
- 1 Timothy 4:13
The word “strengthening” is from oikodome and means “edifying, edification, building up.” 1 Corinthians 14:26
- Certainly as we worship God corporately we are indeed strengthened. However, the ultimate focus of the meeting is to strengthen the church. It is not the Lord who stands in need of strengthening, but the Lord’s people. In this sense, the weekly assembly is for the benefit of the people present. A church gathering is to be designed to edify believers and to this end it is to be man-centered as well as God-centered.
Check out GROWBYLEARNING here
Check out MYCHURCH here