Monday, March 17, 2008

ROANOKE BAPTIST TEMPLE


YOUTH DIRECTOR OF
ROANOKE BAPTIST TEMPLE, ROANOKE, VIRGINIA
December 1963 - February 1966




When I was the Youth Director of Roanoke Baptist Temple from Dec 1963 thru February 1966 in Roanoke, Virginia, our youth group had a wonderful time. Melvin Gray, my assistant, who was saved in our church during a revival meeting, loved helping. Melvin provided transportation for us. He worked at the Bus Station and was able to get us this bus for a youth trip.
.
While I was still in Jefferson High School dad asked me to be the teacher of the Youth Class. Donnie Taylor the teacher of the class left for the War in 1963. It was a wonderful experience as teacher of this class. For twenty-seven months, until my father died, we really had some wonderful times. While I played football at Jefferson and played basketball and other sports and club activities at the school, I was very involved with the ministry at the church. We were having activities each night with the youth during the school week, and we had a lot of activities during the summer. And I was dating Sandra Richardson for three years.
.
Those twenty months we had a membership of thirty boys and forty girls. We established a good ministry with the youth. We began the "Team Captains" concept, which was the program we used in each church that we were to go in the future. Of course, after forty five years I cannot remember them all, but some I remember most: Those I have already mentioned above, and others: Jean Cundiff, Linda and Joyce Clay, Margie Pugh (her parents were very active in our church) Bonnie Greer, Sue Crigger, Brenda Williams, Barbara Eakin, Sue Becker, Beverly Dodson, Gary Correll, David Crager. Wayne and Jimmy Sanders who were our best friends. I have a list of over eighty, but these are the ones I really remember the best. I would really love to have a reunion of members of RBT.
.
Dad always had a local radio program and during this time we were the director of a Youth Program each Sunday Afternoon live on the radio. We had a thirty minute program of music and I would preach. Donald and I would also go to preach in other churches for a Youth Rally.
Youth Camp was part of our ministry at RBT. Each year our youth group would travel to North Caroline to camp. Those were some very good days. I only wish I had pictures of those days.


Photo One: Charles Whisnant baseball at youth camp.
.
Photo Two Front Row
Ones I can remember: Ellen Whisnant, Elaine Clay, Denny Campbell, Henry Clay, Melvin Gray
Sandra Richardson, Algie Myers, Donald Whisnant, Robert Shaver
Photo Three: Algie Myers at Youth Camp
.
Photo Five: Robert Shavor, Myself, and Donald, Sue Crigger, Barbara Campbell, the Bus Driver, and Melvin Gray.

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...