Friday, January 02, 2009

IS THE KJV THE ONLY BIBLE?






Have you done research on the KJV/other version controversies yourself?
  • Yes I have. And I would add, probably more so than many KJV onlyists who tend to only read literature published from within their own circles, just as I did when I was a practicing KJVer. The question is meant to "expose" some alleged fatal flaw in the arguments of the non-KJV onlyist. It is suggested that a person reads and uses a modern Bible version (MBV) because he or she doesn't know any better and is blindly following a favored teacher or what was taught at the Bible college where the person attended. Many KJV onlyists believe this about the non-KJV onlyists. It is assumed they are ignorant, but this is merely a strawman objection. I would throw back a question to our KJV onlyist:
    \
  • As a quick review,

  • KJV only advocates teach that the King James Bible, also known as the Authorized Version, is the only translation, English or otherwise, that accurately contains the Word of God as it was revealed by God through His prophets and Apostles. The KJV translation is considered to be perfect; with out any error either in the original language documents used in its translation or in the English translation itself. Additionally, the translators are said to be the greatest scholars the world has ever known, and it is argued God used these men to preserve once and for all His Word to humanity.
Personally I hate lies, and when the falsehood are told in relationship to the Bible it is sad. And the above statement about the KJV is not true.
  • I have always being a Indpendent Baptist, Fundementalist. I have always read from the pulpit the KJV. But I have never believed that the KJV was the only translation that Christians should read. Well, maybe I believed that in the early 50's and 60s when I was a child, and thought as a child, but when I grew up and studied, I realized that the KJV was not the only version that Christians could read. I believe, in the early 80's I realized maybe the Bible was perfect in its orginial form, and from that point on there were errors made in the printing of the Bible. And the shock was to learn that the KJV was not perfect. The falsehood of material put out by the KJVonly people is really not biblically right.
Even with the idea of a perfect bible, certainly those who taught from the bible had a lot of error on their interpretation of the scriptures. It seems those who hold this position, also believe they don't make any error in their interpretation of the Word of God.

I believe in a sovereign God, who doesn't need perfect people or a perfect printed bible to accomplish His purposes and plan for mankind. I believe even with all the false teachings about God's plan and His means whereby He saves sinners, those whom God has chosen unto salvation will be saved. (Acts 13:48, Romans 11:7, Romans 8:30, John 10:27 and Philippianss 1:6) I really do not believe any of those whom God gave Jesus Christ to die for at the Cross will be lost because someone might use a NASV or RS or any other translation. (John 6:37, John 17:6).

I do believe its better to have everyone in the church service to have the same bible translation, (its only a personal preferrence). Because most people are easily confused. And when you ask the people to read together in the Psalms, it is rather hard when there are ten translation been read at one time. You know?
I have over the years put into the minds of people the idea that the KJV is the best translation on the market of the day. But I have never taught that the KJV is perfect in its translation. And I have never believed you have error when you change the words of the KJV.

When I teach from the KJV, I change the words. When the KJV uses "it" in refering to the Holy Spirit, its okay to change "it" to Holy Spirit. When the KJV uses Holy Ghost, it is okay to use Holy Spirit. It is okay in I Corinthians 1:11 to read "that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind." to read it "that you might be perfected together in the same mind."




I use Ephesians 4:13 a lot to explain Christian growth. "unto a perfect man". Well we are not perfect in the human sense, but the word "perfect" is better translated "full grown" or" spiritual mature man." Explaining the text, using different words is not changing the Words of God.

  • It is obvious that believers, all of whom have unredeemed flesh (Rom. 7:14; 8:23), cannot in this life fully and perfectly attain the measure of the stature which belongs to the fulness of Christ. But they must and can reach a degree of maturity that pleases and glorifies the Lord. The goal of Paul's ministry to believers was their maturity, as indicated by his labors to “present every man complete (teleios, mature) in Christ” (Col. 1:28–29; cf. Phil. 3:14–15). John MacArthur, Jr.
King James Version 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

American Standard Version 4:13 till we all attain unto the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a fullgrown man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Bible in Basic English 4:13 Till we all come to the harmony of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to full growth, to the full measure of Christ:

Have we done harm to the Word of God by using a different translation from the KJV? Will we do harm to the Word of God when we do not teach the Word of God as God meant the Word to be taught. We are not to teach our ideas, or our personal application, we are to explain the Words of God in its context and allow the Word to speak for themselves.

God expressed the Bible in language, and language has a way of changing. Therefore we are to teach the Bible in the language that people can understand.
\
Can people in the English language be saved and learn the commands of God in other translations of the Bible? Do I need to be afraid someone might go to hell if they read another translation?

You might say, "Why just not stick with the KJV?" Well personally, I am. I read from the KJV and then I study a lot to figure out what it says. I love study, I love research, I love to dig deep into the scriptures.
\
Like my sermons, I stop in the middle of some messages. I will pick up another time.
  • Conclusion: No English translation is without problems including the revered King James Version. People are unaware that the accusations the KJV only supporters are using against all modem versions holds true with the very translation they are defending. It is true not all modem versions are good and many should be avoided. But let us be careful to follow the truth when making statements of support or statements of avoidance over a particular English version of the Bible.
  • Conclusion two: "The Lord gave the word: great was the company of those that published it" (Psalm 68:11).

  • Ruckmanism is the false teaching that the King James translation is absolutely inerrant, and is superior to any Hebrew or Greek text. It is the teaching that the King James Version is perfect and that there is no value in examining the Hebrew and Greek text from which it was translated.
  • In my opinion, the term "King James Only" is a misleading name for this movement. I myself am King Jame preacher. I preach from the KJV because it is the better translation, based on the better Hebrew and Greek manuscripts. As far as I can know. But it doesn't mean all the other translation are wrong.

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...