Wednesday, February 23, 2011

WRITING A SERMON: HOW?




In the preparation of writing out a sermon or a manuscript or\r even an outline has always being a challenge. 

As a matter of fact, I have never had a class on how to write. You would think in Seminary they would have had a class on how to write out a sermon, or even an outline.  

But my wife Charity remained me I must have had that in High School. How to write a sentence. And I guess I did have that in High School.   What is that call English grammar?

So how have I learned?  Well, I imitate great preachers over the years.  You are kidding? No.

Today I came across an article MORE QUESTION ABOUT GREAT SENTENCES and John Starke mention Stanley Fish book HOW TO WRITE A SENTENCE

Fish left me with questions. He convinced me that to get better at writing great sentences, I must imitate the great ones. With three or four examples per chapter, Fish demonstrates how to practice imitation. All right, I’m convinced, but where do I find more of these great sentences? How do I pick out a great one from a good one?
 I am glad to learn it is okay to imitate great sentences in order write ones myself.  I have been doing that for years.



 Charles Spurgeon

 John Piper
 Oliver B Greene
 Lloyd-Jones
 Dallas Billington from Akron Baptist Temple back in 1966
Lee Roberson:   Pastor of Highland Park Baptist and founder of Tennessee Temple in Chattanooga, Tennessee. For years read his sermons 
 
I have been reading SERMONS for 50 years/ Charles Spurgeon's sermons were the first I believe. Then I remember Lee Robertson's sermons. John MacArthur sermons for 40 years.  Oliver B Greene, John Rice, to name a few.


Today you can Google the subject.  "Learn how to write what editors want to publish."

Well I will stop here, I am no authority on this subject to began with. My wife is, and she helps me so much in this area.
 

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...