About Me

My photo

I am the Pastor/Teacher of Rivers of Joy Baptist Church in Minford, Ohio since August 2008.  I am married to Charity since June 14, 1969.  I have four grown children.   Having served in the local church for over forty years as Pastor/Teacher, Asso., Youth Pastor, Minister of Education, Building Upkeep, Camp Director, Sunday School Teacher, etc. Also I have worked in the public place for as many years as I have preached. Charity and her sister are co owner of Union Mills Conf. (Bakery) in West Portsmouth Ohio

WRITING A SERMON: HOW?




In the preparation of writing out a sermon or a manuscript or\r even an outline has always being a challenge. 

As a matter of fact, I have never had a class on how to write. You would think in Seminary they would have had a class on how to write out a sermon, or even an outline.  

But my wife Charity remained me I must have had that in High School. How to write a sentence. And I guess I did have that in High School.   What is that call English grammar?

So how have I learned?  Well, I imitate great preachers over the years.  You are kidding? No.

Today I came across an article MORE QUESTION ABOUT GREAT SENTENCES and John Starke mention Stanley Fish book HOW TO WRITE A SENTENCE

Fish left me with questions. He convinced me that to get better at writing great sentences, I must imitate the great ones. With three or four examples per chapter, Fish demonstrates how to practice imitation. All right, I’m convinced, but where do I find more of these great sentences? How do I pick out a great one from a good one?
 I am glad to learn it is okay to imitate great sentences in order write ones myself.  I have been doing that for years.



 Charles Spurgeon

 John Piper
 Oliver B Greene
 Lloyd-Jones
 Dallas Billington from Akron Baptist Temple back in 1966
Lee Roberson:   Pastor of Highland Park Baptist and founder of Tennessee Temple in Chattanooga, Tennessee. For years read his sermons 
 
I have been reading SERMONS for 50 years/ Charles Spurgeon's sermons were the first I believe. Then I remember Lee Robertson's sermons. John MacArthur sermons for 40 years.  Oliver B Greene, John Rice, to name a few.


Today you can Google the subject.  "Learn how to write what editors want to publish."

Well I will stop here, I am no authority on this subject to began with. My wife is, and she helps me so much in this area.