Friday, February 18, 2011

Just What Is The Gospel





 This comes from John Sampson: I really am not a real Reformed preacher. I accept the salvation aspect of the Reformers.  

But so much of what we have learned over the years, in seminary, in college, in preaching, in my opinion has been not fully correct.

While I have not followed Dr Horton very close, (since I didn't know who he was) but in the brief video he explains the GOSPEL.


“Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, 2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. 3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures…” – 1 Cor 15:1-3

As Dr. Michael Horton explains in the video below, the Greek word for Gospel “εὐαγγέλιον” transliterated into English as “euangelion” means “good news.” Specifically, it is an announcement of an event that has good ramifications, a victory, a settled triumph, good news, glad tidings. The Gospel centers in the Person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ; who He is and what He has accomplished by His life, death, burial and resurrection. It also includes the announcement that based on the Scriptures alone, justification is by grace alone, through faith alone in Christ alone, to the glory of God alone.


Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...