DEALING WITH FALSE SECURITY
Charles E. Whisnant, Pastor/Teacher
June 06 2010 Rivers of Joy Baptist Church, Minford, Ohio
17Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God, 18And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law; 19And art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness, 20An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which hast the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law. 21Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal?
SECURITY ON THE MINDS OF A LOT OF PEOPLE:
- Everyone wants security: job security, marriage, economically, home, business, social security.
- People without security leads to insecurity which leads to a state of mind characterized by self doubt, emotional drama, and personality problems.
Security defined: "the state or feeling of being safe and protected, the assurance that something of value will not be taken away."
Spiritual Security: Free from thinking about going to Hell. Free to believe everything is okay and you are going to Heaven.
- Every person has a conscience. Every person knows right and wrong. Every person knows what guilt is. A lot of people fear the consequences of their wrong judgments.
- People really don't like to have their confidence destroyed. They want to believe their belief will be okay, and they will be in heaven.
PAUL HAS LAID OUT THE FALSE SAFETY MEASURES THAT SO MANY GROUPS HAVE.
You really are doing people a huge act of kindness when you tell them they are putting stock in a company that is going out of existence .
THE JEWS FALSE SAFETY MEASURE OF SECURITY
- That they were a part of the nation Israel
- That they possessed the Law of God.
- That they were circumcised.
HOW MANY PEOPLE HIDE BEHIND THE FALSE SECURITY OF THEIR RELIGION?
False measures that people make in order to have some sense of security about the afterlife.
- God couldn't be a God that would let me go to Hell.
- There is no God you know.
- I made a profession of faith once.
- I was sprinkled as a child.
- I did ask Jesus to come into my heart once.
- I believe in eternal security.
HERE IS A NEEDFUL QUESTION TO ASK YOURSELF:
- "What right do I have to enter into Heaven?" Nearly everyone has an answer to that one.
- They are building a wall of protection around them so they can feel free of judgment.
JESUS was teaching the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5-7. Jesus gives examples how the Jews had built up a wall of false security, overconfidence in their thinking about how they were going to make it into heaven. Jesus just stripped them bare of their confidence.
THE KEY TO TEACHING AND SHARING THE GOSPEL
- Leading them to know they have no resources, no protection, no hope, no solution, no security.
Here is why the Jews believed they really were secure in going to Heaven
"But if you bear the name Jew: and rely upon the Law: and boast in God." or
"Behold, thou art called a Jew, and rest in the Law, and make thy boast of God."
- Romans 2:28-29; 9:4-7; Psalms 135:4; Isaiah 48:1-2; Matthew 3:9; 8:11-12; John 8:33 (2) Romans 2:23; 9:4, 32; Jeremiah 7:4-10 (3) Isaiah 45:25;48:2; John 8:41
distinguishes a Hebrew-speaking Jew from a Greek-speaking one.
distinguishes a Jew from a Gentile, and denotes nationality.
is the most august title of all, speaking of the fact that the Jew is a member of the theocracy, and thus an heir of the promises (Trench).
"I am a Jew and proud of it." Boasting of privilege can become an attitude of pride. "That makes me better than others." You might feel superior to others. To be best is to be a Jew. To have God is the best, we are special above others.
in God. That attitude of pride, because he thinks God owes him something because he is superior to everyone else.
SO WHAT IS THE EFFECT OF THIS KIND OF ATTITUDE THE JEWS HAD?
They believed they could live any way they wanted and everything would turn out okay, because God was obligated to them, because they were so much better than anyone else. Micah 3:11They believed as children of Abraham they were secure.