Friday, November 07, 2014

Determinism and God and Man Doctrine study

Charles s09 01 14 cartin chairCharles study books 1

I cannot see how God can be God without ordaining all things. I find this inconceivable simply because it is contrary to His Word:

  1.     Proverbs 16:9 The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.
  2.     Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand.
  3.    Proverbs 20:24 A man’s steps are from the LORD; how then can man understand his way?
  4.     Isaiah 46:8-11 “Remember this and stand firm, recall it to mind, you transgressors, remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’ calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it.”
  5.     Eph 1:11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will …

At the same time I cannot see man’s God-given freedom as less than a genuine, morally responsible and unconstrained liberty. Here I am just agreeing with Calvin and other compatibilists. We insist that God can ordain everything without denying his creatures real freedom. We cannot turn from either of these conscientiously held convictions.

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...