Offer God no worship that is clearly contrary to His nature and perfections, but such as is suited to Him as he is revealed to you in His Word.
Thus Christ teacheth us, to worship God as he is:
1A GOD IS SPIRIT:
- therefore they that worship Him, must worship Him in spirit and in truth. John 4:23 and 24\\
2A GOD IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE: and infinitely distant from us;
- therefore Him with admiration, and make not either visible or mental images of him; nor debase him by undue resemblance of Him to any of His creatures.
3A GOD IS OMNIPORESENT: and
- therefore you may everywhere lift up holy hands to Him, I Timothy 2:8. And you must always worship Him as in His sight.
4A GOD IS OMNISCIENT: and
- knoweth your hearts and thus let your heart be employed and watched in His worship.
5A GOD IS MOST WISE:
- therefore not to be worshipped playfully as a toy, as children are pleased to do, but with wise and rational worship.
6A GOD IS MOST GREAT:
- and therefore to be worshipped with the greatest reverence and seriousness; and not presumptuously with a careless mind or wandering thoughts or rude expressions.
7A GOD IS MOST GOOD AND GRACIOUS:
- and therefore not be worshipped with backwardness, unwillingness, and weariness, but with great delight.
8A GOD IS MOST MERCIFUL IN CHRIST:
- and therefore not to be worship despairingly, but in joyful hope.
9A GOD IS TRUE AND FAITHFUL:
- and therefore to be worshipped believingly and confidently, and not in distrust and unbelief.
10A GOD IS MOST HOLY:
- and therefore to be worshipped by holy persons, in a holy manner, and not by unholy hearts or lips, nor in a common manner, as if we had to do but with a man.
11A HE IS THE MAKER OF YOUR SOULS AND BODIES:
- and therefore to be worshippied both with soul and body.
12A HE IS YOUR REDEEMER AND SAVIOUR:
- therefore to be worshipped by you as sinners in the humble sense of your sin sense of His mercy, and all in order to your further cleansing, healing and recovery.
13A HE IS YOUR REGENERATOR AND SANCTIFIER:
- and therefore to be worshipped not in the confidence of your natural sufficiency, but by the light and love, and life of the Holy Spirit.
14A HE IS YOUR ABSOLUTE LORD AND THE OWNER OF YOU AND ALL YOU HAVE:
- and therefore to be worshipped with the absolute resignation of yourself and all, and honored with your substance, and not hypocritically, with exceptions and reserves.
15A HE IS YOUR SOVEREIGN KING:
- and therefore to be worshipped according to His laws, with an obedient kind of worship, and not after the traditions of men, nor the will or wisdom of the flesh.
16A HE IS YOUR HEAVENLY FATHER:
- and therefore all these holy dispositions should be summed up into the strongest readiness, and rest in Him with the greatest joy, and thirst after the full fruition of Him with the greatest of your desires, and press towards Him for Himself with the most fervent and over-eager suits.