John G. Reisinger states
"The doctrine of assurance of salvation has been the subject of both confusion and controversy down through the years. " CAN I REALLY BE SURE I AM GOING TO HEAVEN."
I am going to give eleven points summary of how you can know if you are saved? Then I will address each one.
A Can you know if a person is truly converted from darkness to light
- Regeneration is the commencement of spiritual life in a soul before dead in sin, by the omnipotent agency of God; and the exercises of this life are specifically different from all the exercises of an unregenerate heart.
- The strength of the principle of life in the new birth, as in the natural birth, is exceedingly various. Some are brought into the world of grace in the clear light of day, and are from the first active and vigorous, and enjoy much comfort in their dedicate exercises. Others give very obscure evidence of being in possession of life, and remain long in a state of unsteadiness.
- Some experience this change so remarkably that they never can doubt of its reality, when they emerged from darkness to life. Others who are truly regenerated, remain long in doubt about their spiritual state. And can not fix the precise time that the new birth took place.
- Spiritual life is progressive in its nature. Habitual growth in grace is the best evidence of its reality.
- Genuine godliness, holiness, spirituality, etc. is a permanent and undying principle, and therefore it may be distinguished from transient impressions, however powerful, yet we should not suppose that the exercises of the real Christian are uniform, or that all experience equal fluctuations of feelings.
- We cannot ascertain, much less describe, all the causes which may singly, or in combination, give complexion to the frames and exercises of a child of God, nor can we determine, in many cases, why one believer enjoys so much more tranquillity and cheerful hope than another
- There is going to be an increasing knowledge of the sinfulness of our own heart.
- The truly regenerated man hates, opposes, and endeavors to eradicate all sin. "I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to b e right, and I hate every false way." David
- As the word of God furnishes both the motive and the object of all spiritual affections, it cannot but be very dear to the renewed heart, especially as it reveals Christ in all His offices as the Redeemer of His people. "O how love I thy law." is the language of his heart. His estimation of the word is above all the most precious treasure of earth. "More to be desired than gold, yea than much fine gold."
- A regenerated man love the people of God. "We know that we are passed from death to life because we love the brethren." John
- A soul that is born of God ardently and habitually desires to glorify God by all practicable means.
- A regenerated man has his will engulfed up in the will of God "Thy will be one." Is his daily prayer from his inmost soul.
13. There is a grateful sense of the love and goodness of God. Gratitude is the soul of heart-salvation.
There is a grateful sense of the love and goodness of God. Gratitude is the soul of heart-salvation.