Monday, May 12, 2008

LARGEST SUNDAY SCHOOLS OF 1969 WHERE ARE THEY NOW


THE LARGEST SUNDAY SCHOOLS OF 1969
WHAT ARE THEY DOING IN 2008
40 YEARS LATER


Revitalize Your Church: Top Ten Sunday Schools 40 Years Later


  • In 1969 I was really into the top 100 churches in America. I was married in June 1969. I had just finished Seminary in May of 1969. I was attending Gideon Baptist Church and was the church Bus Director, and Charity and I were directors of the Children's Church Ministry.

I had read Elmer Towns' book, America's Top 100 Sunday Schools, and I had this idea of writing those churches and asking for information about their Sunday School and Church. Eighty-five churches responded back, and I received their newsletters. Over the next few years I received thousands of papers, and I cataloged them all by churches. What a resource of information.


I had wondered how those churches were doing. Today I received a email from Todd A. Rhoades and he mention the churches of 1969 that gave information about these churches. And he give the link above about the same churches. Read both articles.


Of the top ten Sunday Schools in 1969, I have visited eight. I was just in Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg in May of 2007. TRBC is the only church that is still in the top ten in attendance. All eight churches had ties to the Bible Baptist Seminary in Arlington, Texas, founded by J. Frank Norris. They had ties with the Baptist Bible Seminary in Springfield, MO.

Charity and I went to Thomas Road Baptist Church in 1970, and I had told Charity I knew Jerry Falwell personally. She said, "Right." That is a story that I will post later this week. His picture is at the top of this post. He passed away May 15, 2007.

^

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...