The second part of the sermon from I Peter 2:11
1Peter 2:11 Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts which wage war against the soul. (NASB: Lockman)
Dearly beloved, i beseech 3870 you as strangers3941 and pilgrims 3927 abstain 567 from fleshy lust 1939, which war again the soul"5590
- Greek: Agapetoi, parakalo (1SPAI) hos paroikous kai parepidemous apechesthai (PMN) ton sarkikon epithumion, aitines strateuontai (3PPMI) kata tes psuches;
Amplified: Beloved, I implore you as aliens and strangers and exiles [in this world] to abstain from the sensual urges (the evil desires, the passions of the flesh, your lower nature) that wage war against the soul. (Amplified Bible - Lockman)
- BBE: My loved ones, I make this request with all my heart, that, as those for whom this world is a strange country, you will keep yourselves from the desires of the flesh which make war against the soul
- Phillips: I beg you, as those whom I love, to live in this world as strangers and "temporary residents", to keep clear of the desires of your lower natures, for they are always at war with your souls (Phillips: Touchstone)
- Wuest: Divinely loved ones [loved by God], I beg of you, please, as aliens and those who have settled down alongside of pagan [unsaved] people should, be constantly holding yourselves back from the passionate cravings which are fleshly by nature [fleshly in that they come from the totally depraved nature], cravings of such a nature that, like an army carrying on a military campaign, they are waging war, hurling themselves down upon your soul;
- Young's Literal: Beloved, I call upon you, as strangers and sojourners, to keep from the fleshly desires, that war against the soul,
BELOVED I URGE YOU: Agapetoi parakalo:
Romans 12:1; 2Corinthians 5:20; 6:1; phesians 4:1 Philemon 1:9,10)
THE PILGRIM LIFE WE'RE JUST PASSING THROUGH!
The ESV Study Bible note on 1Peter 2:11-4:11 says believers are to be Living as Aliens to Bring Glory to God in a Hostile World. Peter explains how believers should live as exiles amid a world that rejects their message. They bear witness to the gospel when they live in a way that pleases God....those who have trusted in Christ bear witness to the gospel by their conduct.
Pilgrim - one who journeys in foreign lands. "One who comes from a foreign country to dwell by the natives of a city or land, a stranger, sojourner. Since heaven is the home of the Christian, the NT speaks of Abraham and other believers as pilgrims while on earth (Hebrews 11:13; ; cf. Genesis 23:4; Psalms 39:12)."