Friday, November 18, 2011

God Grace and Direction in Times of Cancer



TODAY’S POST IS NUMBER 1900
MY EXPERIENCE WITH WHAT I KNOW NOW AS PROSTATE CANCER
Charles e Whisnant

My life verse has been Philippians 1:21:  FOR ME TO LIVE IS CHRIST AND TO DIE IS GAIN.  And today that is still by life verse.  Christ is my life.  In this life, to live for Christ has been my life.  From those early years playing church in our church in Roanoke, Virginia to today still preaching in a church has been my life.

HOW I FOUND OUT I HAD A HIGH PSA  

  • After my Mom died in July 2010, I became more aware of the need to have extra insurance.  I applied for some more insurance and took a physical.  The result came back and I was turned down for bad health.  We were shocked since the last time my heath report was great.
  • The report showed I had a 30 PSA, and a few other high readings on my health.  We could not understand the high Prostate score at all and began to look into the matter. 




THE BEGINNING OF HEALTHY EATING:


  •  Because of the other health issues, Charity convinced me to begin to eat more healthily than I was.   I was not aware that I had any health issues. I have never been very sick ever. Tonsillectomy and two hernia operations is the most.  
  •  
  • But in July Charity got me on this health food, no sugar, no diet Mt Dew, no white bread, no Union Mills cookies. And Charity fixed me a healthy  green smoothie every day and a good fruit smoothie in the evening.

RESULT OF HEALTHY EATING:

  • Over the next three months I lost 28 pounds.  I was feeling rather good, and still do.  But there was this concern over the high Prostate score.  I had another test and the score was 27.  I was really not all that concerned, but others were. 
  • Well, my insurance agent Jim Wayne was concerned about this matter and wanted me to check with a doctor.  And I was thinking I need to get healthy too.  Charity while at Union Mills had several people come in and talk to her about my health.
  • We have no health insurance. Car insurance, yes: life insurance yes, but no health insurance.  That does make a difference in your thinking.  I am 64 and a year away from Medicare.  And we are not on welfare and have no medical card.  

FOLLOW THE PATH AND DIRECTION SET BEFORE US

  • Charity and I have said, “Lord, you know where we are, and you know our situation and know what we need to do.”   We have asked the Lord for wisdom and help in knowing what we should do. 
  • Well, Saundra Wheeler has been a great friend of Union Mills for a number of years, and she came into the bakery a number of times, and she said she check with her husband about me.  Sure enough, Dr. Wheeler called that afternoon and asked some questions and set my appointment to talk to him on October 31.
1.     So I went to see Dr. Wayne Wheeler on Monday, October 31, 2011, and he said to get another blood work, and come to see him at SOMC on Saturday, November 05
2.     I took the blood test on the same Monday.  
3.     I went to see Dr. Wheeler on Saturday, November 05 2011, at SOMC and had the result of the test and took an exam of my prostate. Dr. Wheeler said I need to see a urologist.  He called Dr. Chris Schmidt and asked if he would see me. 
4.     Charity called on that next Monday and an appointment was set up for that Tuesday 11-08-11
5.      I went in that Tuesday and he talked with me, and read my blood work, took the prostate exam.  He said I need to come in the next day to get a biopsy.
6.     Then I came back on Wednesday November 9th and had a biopsy of my prostate.
7.     Then the following Wednesday, November 16th I came back to Dr. Schmidt’s for the result. Dr. said it was an 8 on a scale of 5 to 10. He said 6 would have been great, but 9 or 10 would have been really bad.
8.     That day November 16th Dr. Chris had received a call from Dr. Wheeler about me and mentioned the program in Columbus, a blind study that a doctor was giving.  So Dr. Chris had his assistant to look into it.  Since I have no insurance and not on Medicare, there are only a few choices.  But both doctors said they would get me through this.    Well, Dr. Chris said he would have the office call me on Thursday or Friday about this Blind Study. 
9.     And sure enough Columbus office called on Thursday November 17th.   The doctor in Columbus was accepting me for a pre-trial exam.   
10. I have an appointment with them on November 28, 2011, to have the pre blood work and tests as necessary. Can’t believe how fast this has happened.   This study will provide me with the test and exam and care.  Dr. Schmidt said he highly recommends this doctor, and he took time to check into this new study and procedure in helping with the prostate cancer.  

 Dr. Betz, who talked to Charity at the very beginning of this saga wants us to check on the program at the University of Indiana.  So we are also getting more information on the Proton Therapy at Bloomington Indiana University.

And over the last few months I have been taking VAXA supplements for my health as well.  Which Dr Wheeler said was not enough to hurt me. LOL  

So here we are today, thanking the Lord for what has been set before us.  We ask for wisdom and direction in this matter, and to be wise in our decisions.  It seems the Lord has brought people into our lives who have given us direction and the help we need at this time.  So we are trusting the Lord’s director and the advice we have received from Dr. Wheeler and Dr. Schmidt.  


We certainly do not know about tomorrow but we do know who hold tomorrow in our lives: The Lord Jesus Christ.The Lord has given us peace and my blood pressure is perfect, and my attitude is one of gratefulness,.  As I have said, for me to live is to live for Christ, and to die would be gain. Seeing the Lord face to face would really be great. But I would like to finish teaching Romans at Rivers of Joy Baptist Church, and I love my lovely wife Charity and family.  So as long as the Lord wants me to continue on this earth, I am glad to be at His service. I just want the Lord to be glorified in all this that is set before Charity and I.


Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...