Saturday, January 23, 2010

Memorial Service in Roanoke, Virginia

Charles, Dolly, Joyce and Buddy

This week I had the joy of speaking in Roanoke Virginia, my home town as a child and youth, and until I finished High School in 1966. My Dad, Everette Whisnant, pastored in Roanoke from 1954 until he died in February 1966.

I was asked to speak at Frances Copper Pruett's funeral. She was 87 years old. You might asked why was I asked. I had not seen Frances in a number of years. But I had known her in my father's church when I was seven years old. She was my first girl friend. She was the same age as my mother too. Frances and her kids loved us and Dad and Mom. She was a great help to the church. And for the rest of her life was involved in her gospel music, playing the piano, taught Sunday School class at Garden City Baptist Church and enjoyed traveling and her family.

I loved her family too. She had five children. Bill and Kenny Copper who have pass way some years ago. Joyce and Dolly (Darlene) and Buddy (James).

I reconnected with Joyce, Dolly and Buddy after some fifty years. It seemed we picked up where we left off.

Dolly and her husband Bob were so kind to me. Dolly called me to ask if I would come and hold the service for her Mom. Dolly and I were in high school together at Jefferson High School. And they drove me all over parts of Roanoke. Thanks Dolly and Bob so much for your gift and love.

After the service we went to where Joyce and here husband Jimmy live and had a great time of fellowship and eating. And we had a great time with Buddy and his wife Anita. We had a great time with all the families and friends.

While we were sad about the home heaven bound Mrs. Cooper as I knew her, we were happy to know she gave her life to the Lord, and to see her family after so many years apart.

Its amazing after 55 years you still have in your heart a love for those who you knew. A seed was planted and it grew for all these years.

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...