Monday, January 04, 2010

Bible Class 509



Mrs. Bernice Fail, (member of FBC in Altoona, Ks.) said as she was leaving the church, "Pastor Charles, its like being in college when you teach us the Word of God." Charity said, "When you preach, you have to think, its like taking class 509."

I do not try to teach on a college level, but try to explain the text in which I am teaching. I don't try to speak from the little knowledge I have in my head at the moment I am teaching. I spend a lot of time studying from those who have a greater understanding of the text than I do.

I have a sermon manuscript before me when I am preaching, and give out an outline of the sermon to the people so they can follow alone. If they wish to study more later in the week.

While most preacher it seems, preach on a fifth grade level on purpose, I have refused to do that. Because adults are not 5th graders. Besides as we have learned on the other hand we don't know as much as a fifth grader do we?

Here you have Christians who have been saved for 20 years still on a fifth grade Bible level. And I desire to see them grow in the knowledge of wisdom of the Lord.

I know we are told to take a deep subject and made it simple. I think my teaching is simple. I have seen Theological Journals in which I can't understand at all.

The content of the message is propounded to say the leased. God's word while simple, is deep in in thought. Obedience. Simple right? To live it is not.

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...