Thursday, August 27, 2009

So Really What Is Preaching?



NOW WHAT IS PREACHING?
OR WHAT I LIKE TO CALL TEACHING.

I looked up the term "preaching" from Microsoft Word dictionary.



  1. To give a talk on a religious or moral subject.
  2. To give advice on morality or behavior in an frustratingly, or infuriatingly, irritatingly tedious or overbearing way.
  3. To make an opinion or attitude known to others and urge others to share it.

I realize that there are so many brands of preachers and preaching. But I am talking to Baptist. I am a Baptist, and will always be a Baptist. Now that also has many different definitions. Here is my definition of a Baptist.

  1. The Word of God is blueprint of doing the Lord's Work in the Lord's Way.
  2. I define a Baptist as one who looks to the Word as the guide for policy and conduct and preachingh

Style of preaching is not found in the Bible. Well, I don't believe anyone preaching today, would have the style of Jesus, or Peter, or even Paul. They style should not be the point. I don't believe Jesus ever stood behind a pulpit. But that doesn't make it wrong either.

The style is not so important. Style without content is not good either. Preaching has been defined in a number of ways.

Biblical preaching will teach the Word of God. Preaching is giving forth the Word of God.

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...