COMPETENT TO COUNSEL BIBLICALLY
SOME OBJECTIVES TO BIBLICAL COUNSELING
- A system of biblical truth that brings together people, their problems, and the living God. With the conviction that:
- God’s Word should be our counseling authority
- Counseling is a part of the basic discipling ministry of the local church.
- God’s people can and should be trained to counsel effectively.
All Christians should engage in it. "Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and (for the moment we shall simply transliterate the next word) confronting one another nouthetically." Colossians 3:16.
- 1 "to teach" The term "didasko" does not imply any problem, but simply suggests the communication of data (teaching); making information known, clear, understandable and memorable.
- "to admonish". Here is the idea: the sense of admonishing with blame, and to rebuke. That is never well liked. The idea of "nouthesis" gives the idea, there is going to be some kind of confrontation in which the objective is to effect a character and behavior change in the person you are talking to one on one.
Paul would get his point across without screaming at them. He didn’t want to "exasperate" them. He would confront them as a "brother". II Thessalonians 3:15.
Paul thought of bringing God’s word to press upon people’s lives in order to uncover sinful patterns, to remedy what is wrong, and to set new ways of life of which God approves.