Preschoolers Toy wishes list: cellphones, laptops, digital cameras and MP3 music players are among the hottest gift items this year. For preschoolers. For children three and up.
The biggest toy companies don’t even call it the toy business anymore Now they are in the family entertainment business and the leisure business. Jim Silver, editor of Toy Wishes magazine said, "They are vying for kids’ leisure time."
From Amazon.com six of the nine best selling toys for 5 to 7 year olds were tech gadgets. It’s the screen they like. The kids no longer like computer without computer monitors, U.S.B. cables and memory cards–
If you give kids an old toy camera! They will look at you like you’re crazy. Kids now know what a real cellphone looks like and they want one.
Now the kids want a laptop. Kids are different from the way we were in our days. Even as last as 10 years ago.
There is the LeapFrog ClilckStart My First Computer, which gives children ages 3 and up a keyboard to help thelm learn computeer basics, using a TV screen as a monitor.
SO DOES A COMPUTER BELONG IN THE CRIB
Donald L. Shifrin, a pediatrician based in Seattle and the spokesman for the academy, said tech toys cannot replace imaginative play, where children create rich narratives and interact with peers or parents.
"Are we creating media use as a default for play?" Dr. Shifrin asked. "When kids want to play, will they ask, ‘‘Where’s the screen?’
I bought a Lexmark Printer on line from Wal Mart, a ten dollar saving, and a printer that was not in our local Wal Mart. As a result I receive e mails of specials from them. Thank of that.
- Slide an activity page into the VTech Whiz Kid system's learning board and it magically knows what activities to play! With a touch-sensitive screen and stylus, and over 100 different activities and games, the fun never ends! If you lose a sheet, it's no problem: just print out another one from the included CD-ROM. The Whiz Kid system even prints out a progress report, so you can keep tabs on your child's learning fun. The Whiz Kid Learning System is the new way to play!
- For budding readers, VTech's Nitro Notebook is a hi-tech tutor specially designed to teach language skills and more. In addition to social studies, math and art studies, kids master reading in English and Spanish as they play games that adapt to their learning needs.
· Portable notebook-style computer with gray-scale LCD screen
· QWERTY keyboard and plug-in mouse
· 80 engaging activities teach reading skills in two languages
· Kids love having their own computer with an endless selection of fun games and activities
· Computer reads aloud stories to teach phonics and improve fluency
· Developing readers learn at their own speed as Artificial Intelligence technology tracks their performance and adjusts skill levels as needed
· Two interchangeable cartridges provide more reading games and foreign language activities
Good stuff on kiddos. I am certain this is what some thought, like our own dad did about the new tech back 40-50 yrs...i.e.,the TV. Mom sd he used to say of the TV..."It's a one-eyed monster."
About 10 yrs or so ago I heard a man speak at a local church about "the new language" we all better learn or we would be forever lost (no, not spiritually!)....called not English...but "Computer". He detailed how thru the ages there have been certain languages that people had to learn or they would not survive the changes. He predicted that "Computer" language was going to be the next to change the world and people who didn't learn it would be left behind. And is he ever on target. Like it or not.