Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Early Preaching in Roanoke VA

The only photo that I have of myself as a teenager and I was at youth camp in N.C.

When I started teaching the Bible back in Roanoke, Virginia in December 1963 Dad gave me the young people's class since the teacher went to the Army.  For the text 27 months (February  1966 I taught that class ever week, while I was still in high school. 

 I was dating Saundra Richardson from the tenth grade until I sent to Seminary in 1966. Love Saundra and love the Lord and love teaching.  My Dad died in February 1966 and that ended my teaching at Roanoke Baptist Temple. I did go over to Fellowship Baptist Church with Gene Arnold and preached and taught in the High School class until Mom and the family moved to Danville, Virginia. And in my first year at Seminary was great and when I went back to Danville, Sandra got married to my surprise.  She had written me ever day in 1966 but in 1967 the stopped and then I knew why.  I have not gotten over that yet, all these years later. She married twice and she passed always in 2010.  


Now those years teaching in Roanoke, without knowing really what I was really doing, I was studying the Bible. Thank goodness Dad had a great library of great books and I really loved reading them.  I spend a lot of time reading the Bible and reading those who knew the Bible. 


Then I went to seminary and there I learn that preaching was not teaching. I did learn a lot what the Bible. Well what they said about the Bible, but they never gave me the tools to study the Bible, because that was not the right way to study and preach. 

Well for the next few churches I was in churches where the pastor did not preach verse by verse and therefore I just taught what ever. From 1970 to 1982.


It was not until 1982 that I got back on tract with teaching the bible as I did when I was in high school.

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...