Friday, August 20, 2010

Dad Raised Me as a Calvinist and not as a Fundamentalist

MY DAD MIGHT HAVE BEEN A FUNDAMENTALIST BUT HE RAISED ME AS A CALVINIST
I am not sure what bran of Fundamentalism we are speaking of, and there are several, nevertheless, all pastors and their families will have some of their children who are saved and some will never be saved.

 
Children are not saved or lost because of my behavior or what Fellowship I belong to. I could be the worst pastor in the world, and have children who will be saved and love the Lord.

I have learned not to criticize a pastor for the behavior of his adult children. When sons and daughters become adults they are responsible for their life style.

Some of the worst parents can have children who become wonderful godly adult Christians.
I believe God by His power and grace and mercy saves His children. 

All four of my adult children, now say, “Dad, we are responsible for our decisions.”
Sneers and jibes are par for many, but really, it should be grace and thankfulness for God’s wonderful grace and mercy.

My Dad: Everette Whisnant, 1904 to 1966, (original photo)

My Dad's Son. Me

My Dad.
A friend of my Dad said "You Dad was a Calvinist. I never knew that.  Of course I didn't know what a Calvinist was until I heard the term in Seminary.  Dad raised me as a Calvinist, not as a Fundamentalist.  Dad was a Fundamentalist I think, he ran around with them folks. J.F. Norris, John R. Rice, Bob Jones, and the like. He even liked some Southern Baptist folks.  But he just never criticized pastors. And he never said we were saved by works or keep laws. 


Dad and Mom never raised Donald and I and Ellen by rules.  Well, it seemed we could not do anything, like going to movies, etc. but then again Dad did not kill me when I did go to one.


The Lord was gracious in saving me when I was very young, God changed my heart when I was but a small boy.  As a result, I had a heart toward my Dad and Mom, and I had a spirit of love toward them.  I loved to hear my Dad preach and my Mom singing.  

The Lord by His sovereign grace applied His love and grace on me, and enabled me to have the kind of attitude and love for Him, the Word of God, the ministry of preaching and teaching the Word,  that I have had now for fifty seven years of my life. 


I have four adult children, Charity and I tried to raise and teach them right.  We tried to live godly before them.  And we tried hard to teach them the Word of God and how to live.  

But the bottom line is this.  Only God can open their hearts to respond to the teaching of Jesus Christ. Only by His sovereign grace can anyone come to love the Lord Jesus Christ and His Words and Work.

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...