Bob Temple and Johnny Edwards Singing from charles e. whisnan t on Vimeo.
HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON: JESUS EXACTLY SUITS US SINNERS
Rivers of Joy Baptist Church Pastor/Teacher Charles E. Whisnant
April 05, 2009
Verse 16. For God so loved, &c. -- What proclamation of the Gospel has been so oft on the lips of missionaries and preachers in every age since it was first uttered? What has sent such thrilling sensations through millions of mankind? What has been honored to bring such multitudes to the feet of Christ? What to kindle in the cold and selfish breasts of mortals the fires of self-sacrificing love to mankind, as these words of transparent simplicity, yet overpowering majesty? The picture embraces several distinct compartments: "THE WORLD" -- in its widest sense -- ready "to perish"; the immense "LOVE OF GOD" to that perishing world, measurable only, and conceivable only, by the gift which it drew forth from Him; THE GIFT itself -- "He so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son," or, in the language of Paul, "spared not His own Son" (Ro 8:32), or in that addressed to Abraham when ready to offer Isaac on the altar, "withheld not His Son, His only Son, whom He loved" (Ge 22:16); the FRUIT of this stupendous gift -- not only deliverance from impending "perdition," but the bestowal of everlasting life; the MODE in which all takes effect -- by "believing" on the Son. How would Nicodemus' narrow Judaism become invisible in the blaze of this Sun of righteousness seen rising on "the world" with healing in His wings! (Mal 4:2).—Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
We know what God gives: “His only begotten Son.”
“Begotten” “unique, only one of its kind) : to produce especially as an effect or outgrowth
· the meaning of the word μονογενής (monogenes) The meaning is, the son is the only offspring of the parent, not the only existing person of his kind. The Greek word μονογενής is an adjective compounded of μονος "only" and γενος "species, race, family, offspring, kind." In usage, with few exceptions it refers to an only son or daughter. In John's Gospel and First Epistle the same words and concepts are used to describe the special relationship of Jesus to God.
· Jesus had always been, so couldn't become. His Sonship was natural (an affirmation of His deity or 'God' nature).
· This relationship is referred to as 'anthropomorphic', where the God nature is represented in human terms and characteristics.
· The term is seen in the term 'son' the idea of likeness and sameness of nature and equality of being.
· Jesus never became, but IS. 'IS' in terms of His eternity; His sameness with the Father but as two forms of presentation; His Godness; His identical, indivisible monadic, (single cell) begotten Deity; both within Each Other as an inherent dwelling as both Brightness and Light, as the Father is to the Son and as the Son is to the Father. Jesus is
· truly the "only-begotten Son" and true God; both the Son of God and God the Son.
Jesus was neither a descendant of God nor a descendant of man. HE IS GOD. Isaiah 9:6.
THE VIRGIN BIRTH:
· The way whereby, or manner by which God became incarnated. God was manifest in the flesh.
· We believe that God always manifests Himself through the Second Person of the Trinity, hence, God manifest in the flesh is called the SON OF GOD.
· The Spirit of God formed within Mary a body through which God took a human nature in the union with His Divine personality.
· In nature He was God-man, in personality He was God.
o We do not have three God’s but one God who is a unity in Trinity.
· The Father alone is not God
o The Son alone is not God.
The Spirit alone is not God. But all three constitute God.
· 9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. Col 2:8-9 (KJV)
· of the Godhead -- The Greek (theotes) means the ESSENCE and NATURE of the Godhead, not merely the divine perfections and attributes of Divinity (Greek, "theiotes"). He, as man, was not merely God-like, but in the fullest sense, God
Jesus was announced to Mary as the Son of God. Luke 1:35
Jesus was announced to Mary as Saviour. Luke 1:31, Mt 1:21 I Timothy 2:5-6
The Lord Jesus was not the Son of God by His miraculous conception. He was the Son of God before that human birth Psalms 2
Jesus did not become the Son of God by being sent, but because He was the Son of God he as sent. John 10:36.
JESUS CHRIST IS THE ‘ONLY” son of God.
· Angels are called sons of God, by creation
· Adam was called a son of God, by creation
· Believers are called sons of God by regeneration.
· Jesus Christ was a Son in eternity
Jesus was THE Son, not A SON.
2. “HIS ONLY BEGOTTON SON” DESCRIBES GOD’S SUPREME GIFT.
This gift is the Son of God. No other son would do
Only God could have been the Son.
Any other son would otherwise have had to have a Savior.
SIN requires a victim since God is just. “Where is the Lamb? Asked Isaac. God will provide Himself as a lamb.
3. ‘HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON” DISCHARGES GOD’S SAVING PURPOSE.
· AS SOON as sin entered into the world God declared His purpose to send a Redeemer. Gen 3:15.
· I John 4:1214 The Father sent His Son to be a Savior of the world.
· Galatians 4:4-6 we are told God sent forth His son to redeem Romans 8:32
HE WAS BORN THAT HE MIGHT DIE. MINE HOUR
· “Mine Hour” seven times.
· That hour is the hour of His death
o It was for the sake of that hour that Jesus Christ left the bosom of the Father for the womb of the virgin.
o It was this hour that gave value to the blood of the Passover lamb.
o Psalms 22 is pictured of that hour.
o All the prophecies, types, shadows, symbols, met at the cross in that hour.
o That hour when the new covenant was sealed and our salvation secured in the blood of the Son of God.
4. “HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON” DETERMINES MAN’S ETERNAL DESTINY.
· John 3:16 and John 1:12
i first preached this series in 1972 at Madison Baptist Church, in Minford Ohio, and then in 1992 I used this series at the First Baptist Church in Altoona, Kansas, then April 2009 at the Rivers of Joy Baptist Church in Minford Ohio.
And the understanding that I thought I had in 1972 and 1990 pale's in view of what I understand in 2009.