THE BIBLE STUDY METHODS
"HOW TO STUDY THE BIBLE"
TO BETTER KNOW OUR GOD
A Study on the Practice and Methodology of Effective Bible Study
Cross - References
THE PRECIOUS BLOOD OF JESUS
I PETER 1:19
Respected expositor John MacArthur emphasizes that... "In Bible study, get the right message from the right passage. Don’’t ""proof text"" your bias or opinions by making the Bible say what you already know you want it to say." (MacArthur, J., F. How to get the most from God's word.
Howard Hendricks adds that "Telescopic reading is based on this principle (of examining the text in the broader context). It never settles for close-ups alone; it always demands the wide-angle lens of perspective. It always asks, What is the big picture?" He goes on to comment that evaluation of "the passage in light of the book as a whole... is the ultimate extension of checking the context. It ?’’s like flying a plane over some land in order to evaluate distances and relationships." (Hendricks, H. G. Living by the book. Chicago: Moody Press)
One example that I like to use most is from 1 Peter 1:19 but with precious blood, as of a lamb without spot, even the blood of Christ:
"http://www.OnlineBible.Org" for latest material and information.
Online Bible: CD: I have used this CD since 1983 at FBC. It’s KJV, and most valuable. PRECIOUS
5092,5093(Strong’s number of PRECIOUS)
rom 5099; TDNT-8:169,1181; n f
held worth, estimated, honored, hence, valued, prized, precious.
AV-honor 35, price 8, sum 1, precious 1; 43
1) a valuing by which the price is fixed
1a) of the price itself
1b) of the price paid or received for a person or thing bought or sold
2) honor which belongs or is shown to one
2a) of the honor which one has by reason of rank and state of office which he holds
2b) deference, reverence
- Heb 9:22 "And according to the law, I may almost say, all things are cleansed with blood, and apart from shedding of blood there is no remission." (A pouring out) By the shedding of blood; not by the shedding of it, as it flows out of the body of the sacrifice, but as it is poured out on the altar; for the pouring of the blood at the four corners, and at the bottom of the altar
A CRITICAL Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament by Bullinger
- 1 Peter 2:22 who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:23 who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:24 who his own self bare our sins in his body upon the tree, that we, having died unto sins, might live unto righteousness; by whose stripes ye were healed.
- 1 Peter 3:18 Because Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God; being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;
- Daniel 9:24 Seventy weeks are decreed upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most holy.
- Matthew 20:28 even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
- Matthew 26:28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many unto remission of sins.
- Acts 20:28 Take heed unto yourselves, and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit hath made you bishops, to feed the church of the Lord which he purchased with his own blood.
- Ephesians 1:7 in whom we have our redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,
- Colossians 1:14 in whom we have our redemption, the forgiveness of our sins:
- Hebrews 9:12 nor yet through the blood of goats and calves, but through his own blood, entered in once for all into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption.:13 For if the blood of goats and bulls, and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling them that have been defiled, sanctify unto the cleanness of the flesh::14 how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish unto God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
- 1 John 1:7 but if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
- 1 John 2:2 and he is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the whole world.
- Revelation 1:5 and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loveth us, and loosed us from our sins by his blood;
- Revelation 5:9 And they sing a new song, saying, Worthy art thou to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou was slain, and didst purchase unto God with thy blood men of every tribe, and tongue, and people, and nation,
Next we will look that the word "lamb." cross references....
Drafted by Charles E. Whisnant, Proof Read by Charity Whisnant