Saturday, January 03, 2015

Preparation for a Sermon and Notes

Charles 12 21 2014 teaching

Preparation for a Sermon: Romans

The responisibility of the pastor/teacher is this:


To bring the truth to the people of God reveled in the Scripture by explaining it meaning. The meaning of the scripture is the revelation from God. I have no other responsibility in my duty to represent the Lord then to explain to you the meaning of His revelation. God has reveled Himself in one book. We are ministers of this one book. In a sense we are brokers of this one book.  We are to simulated these truths to His people. Both to people who do not know the Lord and those who do know the Lord.

 

I always start out trying to understand the passage that I am in.  Of course I started in Romans 1 and continue chapter by chapter and verse by verses.  And the idea is to explain the text as it is in the text

Well, my favorite word, well.  Since I have preached, taught romans since 2009,  we certainly lose a lot of memory.  And we certainly lose memory of chapter 12 as well. In this paper I thought I would review Romans 12:1-8. Then a more detail study of Romans 12:9-21. Romans 12:9 to 21  Has been on the Christian Behavior. My process of this preparation of this study has been to do a lot of research. What I have done  either by the websites, or books, or papers that I have on Romans and have copied and reworked the material.  When I deliver the lesson, I see the notes and material but most of the time I find myself talking and saying what is not necessary on the paper. This paper has taken a lot of time.  As you see I like to do a lot of different things, like outlines, photos, arrangement of words.  Bold letters, and different fonts are used. 

WHERE DOES PRAYER COME IN IN PREPARATION

So how do I pray in preparation for a sermon? Dwight Haynes Its generally asking the Lord to direct my mind to the right material and resources in preparation for the sermon. Since I know where I am going in my preaching. Romans, Luke and First Peter, I have no problem where to start. Since I know the material that I have been studying, I have no problem there either. I think I pray more for strength, stability, steadfastness, Spirit intervention, soul searching, sanctified mind set going into the study. Seeking to understand the scriptures.

Resources from moving from Exegesis to Exposition

1. Homiletic.

2. Exposition.

3. What the text means.

4. Art.

From

1. Personal preparation.

2. Analyze the Text's Content.

3. Expose the Text's Structure.

4. Apprehend the Text's Intent.

5. Identify the Timeless Truth.

Then a few resources in preparation

  1. Bible Versions
  2. Interlinear Bible
  3. Parallel Bible
  4. Commentaries
  5. Concordances
  6. Dictionaries
  7. Encyclopedias
  8. Lexicons History
  9. Sermon Illustrations
  10. Sermon Helps

 

  • Charles library technical at home I used to have over 3000 books while I was in Altoona, Kansas.  When I went to the Shepherd Conference in 1982, 1990 and 1993 I learned that I need to have expositional books.  So I left most of my books in Altoona, at First Baptist Church, and started to get books that I need for study. 

Since the beginning of teaching book by book, I began to buy books that would help me in the process of teaching.  Of course 1982 to 1996 I didn’t have a internet so I was never on the computer.  In those early days, I used tapes that I bought from John MacArthur. and books.

Charles library technical at home

I have sets of books that I have used over the years. I  have not bought any sets since I was at FBC in Altoona KS. 

I started getting the John MacArthur's commentaries.

Then in 2013-2014 bought one book at a time of D.M. Lloyd-Jones books on Romans

Then when I got my Kindle Fire I started getting books from Amazon.  That has been good to do too. 

Charles library of Lloyd Jones

Charles library study notes 12 13 14

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...