Tuesday, November 14, 2006

SO WHAT ARE SOME LESSONS WE COULD LEARN FROM THIS TRAGEDY?
The lesson we need to learn is:
Bloggers have their idea of lessons needed to be learned from this sinfulness behavior of Ted Haggard: (and many others)
  1. That we are every inch as sinful and imperfect and intentional and depraved as Haggard; perhaps more so.
  2. A CHRISTLIKE MAN WILL HAVE A CHRISTLIKE FAITH.
  3. If ANYONE says they are above this kind of sin, may God grant him/her a tiny view of their heart that they may see their need for Christ Jesus on a daily basis.
  4. The fear we should have is NOT that we would fall into the same sin, Tim.
  5. The fear that we should have is that you are correct, that whether that sin manifests itself or not we are really still just as sinful in the core of our hearts as Rev. Haggard
  6. While we are always to be growing in grace, we are always to be reminded of the presence of and battle with indwelling sin.
  7. Who said "simul justus et peccator" i.e. simultaneously justified and sinful.
  8. The church, New Life Church, did not cover up or make excuses, acted swiftly and honestly and has not made light of the scandal.
  9. We shouldn’t conclude that church members should expect anything different from their pastor, since we’re all sinners.
  10. I think churches should consider hiring godly men who lead holy lives, rather than looking for good men who have oratorical gifts. Too often the godly men are run out of their pulpits so some cool, media personalities can be put in their place.
  11. I have read a lot about the "grace principle." Grace does forgive us.
    But grace is something more. Grace is what provides us with the power for godliness.
  12. I read this statement: "We are all just like Ted." Then we are all in trouble. My comment is the salvation that is given to us by Christ does not leave us "just like Ted." Romans 8:3-4
  13. We need to check what kind of faith we think we have that we believe will keep us from sinful behavior. Many have a misconstrued faith.
  14. "Within each of us there is a herd of wild horses all wanting to run loose." Wallace Hamilton wrote.
  15. "Like a river that breaks its levy, that drive that leaders have, often strays into areas of excitement and risk that can be dangerous and destructive. Gordon MacDonald
  16. Have you noted that the truth of a person’s life, comes out little at a time.
  17. There always seems to be a series of disclosures, and admissions are slowly coming. Why? Maybe he is lying to himself, or cannot face the truth of his behavior.
  18. Even though you are a power leader, you are just as lowly as the person who cleans the very church you started. Perks and privileges, the honor, have all gone. Because you might think you deserved them.
  19. A lovely wife, and five children. They will suffer as much.
  20. Sexual temptation is where we are held least accountable and where we can fall fastest.


  1. I had a rule while I pastored: Under no circumstances, to ride alone in a car with a female other than my wife or an immediate family member
  2. I did not counsel a woman in a closed room . And Charity generally did this.
    I would not hug women, or put my arms around them. I did not hug.
  3. I would not focus on the external looks, or read anything into behavior toward me.

    What would I do if Ted Haggard walked into First Baptist Church and I was the pastor and was preaching that Sunday?
    I would be rather surprised. I would not publicly humiliate him. (That has already been done.) I would teach the message that I had already planned to preach. I would trust the sovereignty of God that the message would be the one God planned for Ted to hear.

What would I say to Ted Haggard if he came to Charles E. Whisnant for counseling? Or any one else.

Many times in my father's church, fallen preachers came to our church, there were five to seven preachers and their family in our church. They came for healing, physical, and spiritual.

You might ask "Why would those who say they are believers, get caught up in this kind of behavior? Why didn’t their faith prevent their crimes and sinfulness? I don’t want to write a sermon here, but we as preachers certainly have preached on this topic a number of times.


Drafted by Charles E. Whisnant 11-09-06 Proof Check by Charity 11-13-06 and Posted 11-14-06





















Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...