Tuesday, November 28, 2006


MY SYNOPSIS CHRONOLOGY OF THE PRESENTATION OF THE GOSPEL,
{A brief outline or general view and a record of events in the order of their occurrence}
THE EARLY YEARS OF HEARING THE GOSPEL
PREACHED
Part Two
AGAIN WHAT IS A PERSON TO UNDERSTAND IN ORDER THAT HE MAY KNOW
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESITON?
"What must I do to be saved?"
TODAY NOVEMBER 28TH IS MY 100th Article.

I don’t remember dad talking about how many were saved on Sunday or in a tent revival. That didn’t seem to really concern him. He didn’t seem to be concerned with numbers, but he did have real genuine love for people. People loved dad, especially those who were in our church and those who had been in his church in another town or state.
  • One other story: Fate and Zelda Spencer in Hildebran, North Carolina. Fate was a drunk, and he came to a Tent Revival that my dad had in that town. He came one night with a gun to kill my dad for preaching, but that night he came and he was saved. For the next thirty plus years was dad’s best friend. His whole family came to know the Lord. Some of my best memories are when we visited them in their home. They were dad’s best friends. Dad had a lot of best friends. About once a year Fate would call and say "Everette, why don’t you come down this week and I will get the boys a pair of shoes and buy you a new suit." That was the pattern for a number of years. And we love the girls June and Sue.

I don’t remember the sermons, nor remember the invitations. But I saw the result of the work of the Lord. Dad would be 102 years old this year. I know that the Lord does the saving, but I know it’s by the means of the preaching of the Gospel. Dad must have preached a great message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
  • Well, maybe another story. Dad loved Tent Revivals. In those days a Tent meeting could last up to a month or more. One place was Amelia, Virginia. I remember that Revival. For over a month, dad would preach during the week and then come back to Roanoke and preach at the church. We would stay in a home for the week, and then drive back to Roanoke on Saturday night. I can remember playing in the sawdust on the ground. I still have a vision in my memory about that place, and dad standing up there preaching, and then seeing people come forward. For years later we kept up with folks that were saved.

Whatever Gospel message Dad preached, it worked. The Lord saw fit to use my dad to see some folks come to know the Savior. What was great about this is that many became friends of ours for a long time.
  • Maybe one other and I will quit. Lynchburg, Virginia. Dad pastored a church there, and after dad moved to Roanoke, he would return to Lynchburg at least once a month. One of our friends was a funeral director Mr. Tomlinson who was in charge of the Lynchburg Cometary. We would go and visit. Don and I would visit the graves each trip. The family was saved when dad was the pastor of the church in Lynchburg. (Macel Pate Falwell was the pianist in dad’s church when she was just a young girl.)

What ever the Gospel that dad preached it worked. Amen.
  • Okay, another story: The Unroe family, who was saved in a Tent Meeting in some town. The family had several girls. One was named Judy Unrow, and she was my girlfriend. The family would come up to Roanoke and sing for us. Judy asked me to marry her when I was sixteen years old in a letter she had written. I asked mom about this matter and she was not too happy with that at all.

Well I better quit for tonight. Charity is in bed, she is asleep with the light on and her glasses still on and the book on her lap. Sometimes the book is in her face. She has worked since 5:30 this morning until 6:00 p.m. tonight. She deserves a rest. It’s nice that Thanksgiving pies are only once a year!


Drafted by Charles E. Whisnant, and Proof Checked by Charity Whisnant and I called my mother Pauline who lives with my sister Ellen in Texas..

  • Mom is 84 years old and I asked mom about the events that i
    mention above and she remember the people and places.
  • My sister Ellen who lives in Texas, e mail me to tell me that mom liked to remember these days.
My point is: Even if you didn't know about Lordship Salvation, I believe that Christ will still be your life style. A Christian will be know as someone who Knows Christ and wants to be just like Christ.

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...