Tuesday, September 26, 2006

WHEN IS THERE A LEGITIMATE REASON TO DISMISS A STAFF MEMBER Part two
Continued from Part One
6A "You are a loose cannon ready to go off"
7A "Your personality does not fit the personality of the Senior Pastor."
8A " I really like this one: "Charles, you need to learn to be humble."
9A "Charles, your preaching is too passionate for us."

DO YOU READ ANY BIBLICAL REASONS IN THE ABOVE LIST?
The above list is a truthful opinion, based upon particular actions that I have experienced.. But its been my experience that preachers will not give you the real reasons.

Here are some reasons I have received from preachers, and or church leadership
8A I believe you should have your own church.
9A You are not going the direction of our church
10A Well, if that is what you really want to do
11A That is great. (Wooster) The pastor was happy that I was leaving.
12A "You are not doing a good job here at the church"

Fortunately I have genuinely resigned because of good reasons, and the church or the pastor didn’t want me to.... few I might add. Madison, FBC Haltom City, Mansfield under Folger, FBC Altoona, Gideon. And I might have been wrong in resigning, as well.
  1. A I left several churches because I was offered an income to be on the staff at another church....(Leaving FBC Haltom City, and Mansfield)
  2. I believed I had accomplished all that I could. (Madison, FBC, Lusby Mills)

A WORD TO CHURCHES AND OR PASTORS ABOUT THIS MATTER OF HOW YOU ARE TO HANDLE A STAFF MEMBER.

  1. You do not have a right to mistreat any member of your staff.
  2. Do not lie to them. Tell them what the church expects of them.
  3. Be honest in your dealing with them.
  4. Treat them with the same respect that you would want to be respected.
  5. If you have a disagreement with them, sit down and have a two way discussion
  6. Keep an open communication. Don’t go a week and never speak to them.
  7. Their success will mirror back on you.
  8. If they are successful, give them credit and be thankful.
  9. Do not keep them guessing as to how you think they are doing, tell them regularly, like weekly or at least monthly.
  10. When you do not like what they are doing , do the same, tell them regularly, don’t wait until you fire them.
  11. If you have to dismiss a staff member, be honest, don’t lie. Don’t give a false reason.
  12. A Don’t ask them to resign if you are going to fire them anyway. Or at least give them the option to choose, if that is what you want.
  13. A If you are trying to save your own hide, and you know the church is not going to like it, then don’t fire them.
  14. Don’t be untruthful to the church. If you can give a correct reason why, then there is no problem.
  15. Churches and Preachers have destroyed more lives. EVEN IF THERE IS SIN, YOU are still under Galatians 6:1.

I have read, heard, and seen young couples be totally destroyed in their spiritual desire to continue in ministry, due to the actions of the pastor and or church..

SO WHAT SHOULD YOU DO WHEN YOU ARE ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAFF?

  1. Turn it over to the Lord. By knowing this... if God has called you into ministry, you will survive it.
  2. If you maintain the belief that you gave your best effort, believe it and rest in that fact.
    You well get mad, believe me....So walk out of the office, or the church, and do the first two suggestions, quickly.
  3. If you are given an erroneous reason: I would and have presented my case:
  4. I would say, "I don’t accept your reasons as being correct, and when I leave the church, I will mention the reasons you gave to the membership."
  5. Do not resign if you are asked to, rather then be dismissed. You are not going to get unemployment one way or the other.
  6. Do not say, "It is the Lord’s will that I leave this church". Only unless it’s true.
  7. Don’t give up. Don’t beat yourself over the head. Pray for wisdom.
  8. But at the same time, once it’s all over with, in time, healing will occur, and then you will be able to return to the church for a visit. I suggest if you were wrongly dismissed, forgiveness is in order for your sake and your family. And if the opportunity comes, I would attend a service in that church.

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...