Friday, September 22, 2006

A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE PURPOSE OF THE ARTICLES ON THE BLOG

A Brief Note of Remembrance: My dad Everette T. Whisnant, was born on September 21, 1904.

The reason for the blog "Growing By Learning" is to journal or chronicle some of the events in our ministry. I believe I am today what I have experienced over the lifetime of ministry. I have tried to chronicle them chronologically which means, you would have to start from the beginning of these blogs. But each article is complete in the time frame.

I have also with in the series inserted some concerns about the ministry. I have incorporated some articles about preaching itself, and about preachers and their behavior.

These journals, posts I have written, have been from experiences I have lived through. They have expressed some of the events which have occurred. Generally they are from my point of view, and not necessarily from Charity’s, even though she has read them, corrected the spelling and grammar, and made sure they are truthful, and sometimes has inserted her thoughts * about the events. And my three sons and one daughter have their views about them too.

What I have tried to express in these experiences are the concerns I have with the ministry as a whole. These are commentaries. They will recount the ministry itself, some to express the experience itself, and some musing as to why I left the ministry at the church.

I have addressed each event with honesty, I have attempted not to embarrass or even humiliate myself, my family or any of my co workers, as much as can be reasonable. By God’s grace I have tried not to express with anger what I have expressed about the experience, but the truth as I perceived it.

I have also written these commentaries in the hope that others might be blessed, and possibly helped. But overall they are merely my story as I recalled them. A real reminder how the Lord is gracious to us sinners, to even allow us to be His "dear children."

If I have repeated myself, it’s because, it’s what I do when I preach/teach. While I do take the ministry seriously, I don’t take myself so seriously.

None of these events have moved me from my love for my wife, and children, and the Lord Jesus Christ. In most cases, they have strengthened me in my love for the Lord, and family.
I often think, okay, so if I were able to skip the experience let’s say in Wooster what would I have lost out on. What if I had not gone to Madison Baptist Church to pastor? What if I had not pastored First Baptist Church in Altoona?

AN EXAMPLE:
Today I enjoy Reformed Theology. I have not embraced perhaps most of their teaching, but I would have never learned it, had it not been for the fact I had departed Portsmouth Baptist Church. Two reasons, after leaving PBC, (which I didn’t want to do) Richard Lemaster gave me his Gateway Computer. I did not have one capable of supporting the Internet. And I would have never gone to Bigelow Church (which they don’t know what to do with me), and I want to leave, but I like it so well) I would have never known Frank Tallerico, who has introduced me to the Reformed Theology Especially the Doctrines of Grace, from which I have learned so very much. In the last three years, I have had a wonderful time daily studying the Word of God, and from those who know the Word of God. I have spent hours studying, reading, writing, learning that I would have never had the time to do but for the previous experiences.

Each path that we have taken, has given us some great experiences of life and ministry. Whether they were bad choices or right choices, the Lord has turned them unto His glory, I pray. We certainly have gotten blessed beyond any deserving.

What I have tried to express in these experiences are some concerns I have with the ministry as a whole. Some to detail the ministry itself, some to express the experience itself, and some thoughts as to why I left the ministry at the church.

I have tried to chronicle events in order of their events, but that hasn’t always been the case. I have tried to address the problems of being in ministry. I have tried to be honest from my point of view. I would like to know the viewpoints from the pastors and people that I have worked with. That might be scary for sure.

I am not embarrassed or even humiliated. There have been some wonderful experiences in every place I have had the opportunity to serve. Have I been embarrassed yes, have I been humiliated, yes. But I have a short term memory in the humiliation department. While I might remember a lot of the events, I focus mostly on the good things that happened.

Posted by Charles E. Whisnant September 22, 2006 Check by Charity Whisnant, September 21, 2006
Series Personal Ministry: #45




Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...