Tuesday, September 12, 2006

THE INWARD FORCE IN ONE’S SPIRIT THAT KEEPS THEM GOING

In October 1975, after resigning Victory Baptist Church, and having not been invited to pastor a church in West Carrollton, Ohio (The vote was 48 to 49). I was absolutely at a point that I was resolved not to continue to do ministry.

For some reason, which I can’t remember, I left for Fort Worth, Texas. I went alone, leaving Charity and Eric in West Portsmouth. Charity had a great job at the A Plant. I went to seek a secular job and to find a place to live. Where was my head?. Those early months in Texas were no pleasure. I will forgo some of the unfortunate happenings that took place early in 1975. I secured a good job and a place to stay in Grapevine, Texas. Charity left a good job and she and Eric flew to Texas to join me. On February 10th 1976 Becky was born, on Eric’s 5th birthday. For the fun of it I obtained a second job. Two forty- hour jobs.

Truly at this point in time, I was just satisfied to work at a secular job. And the reason I went to church was that I had a continued streak of a lifetime of not missing church. Otherwise I might have just stayed home.

Bob and Lenore came down to visit us and see their new granddaughter Becky. While they were there, Bob went to FBC of Haltom City , and he knew the pastor, Bro.M.M. Mosley. Bob mentioned to Bro. Mosley about my circumstance. That week M. M. Mosley came over to our apartment and simply asked, "Charles will you preach for me Sunday Night?" To this point, I really had no thought of ever preaching again.

Now the question becomes "Should I have taken a review of my belief that God had lead me to preach and work in ministry?" {Other than finally coming to FBC in Altoona, Kansas I would say that I should have terminated this mission.} Scripture says "Examine yourself to see if you are of the faith!" Could this not also be for ministry as well?

Those words "Will you preach for me Sunday Evening?", hit me straight in my spirit, and without thought I said, "Yes." What had I done? That was an instantaneous response. That was an instant healing of spirit.
That following Sunday Evening I parched in the First Baptist Church. The Pastor asked me to come over to visit with him. That week I found the opportunity to visit with him, and he said, "Bro. Charles, I need a Minister of Education." "But at this time I can’t pay you."

What was I thinking here. I have two full- time secular jobs, eighty hours a week, and Bro. Mosley wants me to be the Minister of Education. What was he thinking, what was I thinking?
"OK Bro. Mosley, when do I start?" I am speculating what have I done! Have I misplaced my mind? "You can start this week" was the reply.

Bro. Mosley said, "Bro Charles, I want you to organize our whole Sunday School, and teach our teachers." I think Bob Temple must have told him what we had done at Victory Baptist Church.
For the next six months we were privileged in working for the church. I had a great time in re- organizing the whole Sunday School program and teaching the teachers. Bro. Mosley was supportive 100% in our work in the church.

Today September 12, 2006 I called to speak with Bro. Mosley, and his wife answered the phone, "Mrs. Mosley, I am Charles Whisnant, I was the Minister of Education of your church in 1975"

Only thirty-one years ago. Do you remember me.? And after a while she did, And then she said that Bro. Mosley had passed away in February of this year. He was 83 years old and still preaching at the church. His youngest son, who is a year younger than I is pastoring the church. He is now with the Lord, and I remarked to Mrs. Mosley, "The Lord used your husband to speak to my spirit and as a result I was not a drop-out in ministry."

One in ten men who are in ministry will not be in ministry in ten years from now.

While in Grapevine, I really had two good jobs that I enjoyed working. Had I now found my place to work? This could be really good.

Sometimes you wonder why you make the decisions you do in this life. I still shake my head in wonderment at some of the decisions I made. After all I was 28 years old and Charity was 27. We had two children. I was smart, intelligent and perspicacious. No, not really, but I just couldn’t get this idea of preaching out of my mind. We had a wonderful six months, and my spirit was again lifted up. Ready for the next assignment. We received a call from Dr. Thomas Leatherwood, Mansfield Baptist Temple.

Ohio State #1 in Football
NASCAR the Chase in on
Viewed and corrected by my lovely wife.















Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...