Tuesday, May 04, 2010

The church and the preacher

SHOULD THE CHURCH REFLECT THE TEACHING OF THE PREACHER?

It is certainly true that not everyone in the church would agree with the pastor on his theological position and teachings in the Bible. The local church should look like a Biblical church I agree. The local church should reflect the teaching of the Scripture for sure. And as a pastor I would like the programs and ministries and church worship service reflect Biblical teaching.

Over the years as pastor/teacher I have tried to oversee the ministries of the church and see that they reflect what I believe to be in line with what I am teaching. It's true that God gives the Elders of the church the responsibility to oversee the ministries of the church. The goal has been that if I hold a position as to what would reflect a biblical ministry I would seek to see that would happen. What I have tried to do has been to teach the principles that would give direction to a right kind of ministry and then allow the leaders of ministries to fulfill them.

When I first started out in ministry and as a pastor, I thought it was my responsibility to control the way any ministry was to be. I would point out the type of music that was to be sung,

I would make sure of the version of the Bible that was to be readand the lessons in the Sunday School had to be a certain way.

I would point out the type of clothes people were to wear in the choir.

I would point out how people were to be if they were to teach a Sunday School class. I was a little control freak or was I being responsible?

Today I am not quite as bad as I use to be. So does this mean that I have lightened up, or changed my mind? Do I really need to control every part of a ministry? While I am responsible for the church, just how should I see that every ministry is without the Biblical guidelines? Good question.

As an illustration, what if I do not agree with something a youth pastor would want to do? Let's say as an illustration that he wants to sing praise songs, with a little beat and with drums? So how should I respond?

So the Youth Pastor or the Choir Directory wants to put on a musical that is like Jesus Christ Superstar of the 60's? Or they want to put on a Star War production, or they want to sing Southern Gospel or even maybe "Christian Rock or Rap Music?"

What if a teacher wants to read out of the ESV or the NASV or even the NIV?

SO HOW SHOULD THE PASTOR/TEACHER OR/AND ELDERS AND THE CHURCH WORK TOGETHERTO GLORIFY THE LORD IN THE MINISTIRES OF THE CHURCH?


 

There is some ignoring of heteropathy for the sake of the expository preaching.

Is the Bible the one fully-sufficient source for all we need to know as Christians?

http://teampyro.blogspot.com/2010/05/is-this-central-issue-in-christian.html

Note the careful wording. It doesn't deny that other resources can be helpful, be they creeds or commentaries or books or sermons. Nor does it assert that everything that can be known or that needs to be known on other subjects, is in the Bible. It simply asks whether the Bible is the one genuinely and truly sufficient source to teach us all we need to know, as Christians.

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...