Charles E. Whisnant, Pastor/Teacher
Philippians 2:13 for it is (3SPAI) God who is at work (PAPMSN) in you, both to will (PAN) and to work (PAN) for His good pleasure
Work (1754) (energeo from energes = active, operative, at work in turn from en = in + érgon = work)
- refers to active, efficient, effectual fervent work. God energizes His children to obey and serve Him; His power enables their sanctification.
1B The Christian working 100% out what is on the inside.
2B The Lord working 100% on what is on the inside.
Remember: Whatever is being produced in your life for the glory of God is being produced by God, He is at work in you. So which one is it? You or God bringing about your salvation?
FIVE KEY TRUTHS ABOUT GOD WE MUST UNDERSTAND.
1B HIS PERSON: It is God in person working in you.
2B HIS POWER: It is God’s power who is working in you.
- It is God who is energizing the fulfillment of His own command in us.
3B HIS PRESENCE: It is God who is in you, working out His will.
- Acts 1:8; I Corinthians 3:16-17; 6:19; 2 Corinthians 6:16; Psalms 139:3
His presence is always present in your life from the first day to the last day on earth and into eternity. Always sustaining, supporting, upholding, strengthening, shielding, never out of His care.
4B HIS PURPOSE: He is trying to develop something very specific in us. Thus He is working in us both to will and do His good pleasure.
BOTH TO WILL AND TO WORK: kai to thelein (PAN) kai to energein (PAN):
• 1 King 8:58; 1 Chro 29:14-18; Ezra 1:1,5, 7:27; Nehemiah 2:4; Psalms 110:3; 119:36; Psalms 141:4; Proverbs 21:1; John 6:45, 65; Ephesians 2:4-5; 2 Thess. 2:13-14; Titus 3:4-5; I Peter 1:3
There are two things God wants to energize in us!
- Our Will and
- Our Work.
- Psalms 110:3; Ezra 1:5; 7:27; Proverbs 21:1
- God is working in you on your will to produce the intent, the will to do what He desires.
HOW DOES GOD PRODUCE IN US TO MOVE OUR WILL?
1B HOLY DISCONTENT:
- You are discontent with your holiness, your spiritual state. He wants you to hate sin.
2B HOLY ASPIRATION:
- A Strong desire to achieve something higher or greater: knowledge, wisdom, to be like Paul, Peter, James and John
3B HIS PLEASURE:
- Why is God doing all this in you…..for His good pleasure. For His satisfaction. He wants to cause us to do what pleases Him.