Sunday, October 22, 2006

GROW IN LEARNING BLOG SITE
SOME BRIEF REMARKS OF THE PURPOSES OF THESE COMMENTS ABOUT MINISTRY


So our question within this series has been:
HAS GOD DIRECTED THE DIRECTION THAT WE HAVE TRAVELED?. HAVE WE BEEN IN THE WILL OF GOD? IS THERE BIBLICAL EVIDENCE TO THE FACT THAT GOD HAS BEEN IN CONTROL OF ALL THE EVENTS. HAVE WE BEEN FAITHFUL IN THE WORK OF THE MINISTRY?

We all say, "God you are in control, we pray that you would direct, guide, give wisdom, bring to yourself your own unto salvation...yes, but do we really believe God is in that much control?
We could have the attitude that says, "Why even review the past, it’s all been in the control of a sovereign Lord.." Or "Why bother thinking about it, because it’s the past!"
This blog has developed into an on going chronicle of my past ministries. I used to spend a lot of time telling the story of our past ministries. I would always be funny in the characterization.
Generally, the past was the past, the events were just events, places where I served were just that. While I never really felt I finished the task I would have loved to, but it was the past.
But it seemed that every time I would rehearse this story, I would sometimes get depressed, and finally I said, no more, let the past stay in the past, good grief.

Well, then comes this blogger. The first article I wrote was my résumé. I sent the blog to my kids, and Chad tells me, "Dad, why don’t you put all this in print, and go into detail." And so I thought, okay how do I write these? I wanted to be positive, yet be honest. I don’t want to sound like a sore loser, or a bragger, or point fingers. I didn’t want to get out my frustration either.

Then I thought maybe I could help others through my experiences, how do deal with ministry. This I hope I can do in the process of this journey we have traveled over the last forty years.
Because really, as I look back, the experiences at the time were done with total enjoyment and challenge. I was not thinking negatively or wondering how things were going to turn out. I just worked hard, and just did the best I could. What happened was generally a surprise to me. I always believed that I would be in that ministry for a long time. I never thought of the next place I would be. I NEVER looked forward to another ministry while I was in that current ministry.

Generally, I left a church, with the idea, "Okay, Lord where to next." "Ah, I did my best, it’s to the next place." So I didn’t give much thought at the time as to why all this happened. You can’t correct the past, you can only improve for the future.

So in writing these comments on the ministries I have had the wonderful joy of working in, I trust I can demonstrate a correct picture, an honest one, and maybe be a help to me, and others who might go into the ministry.

I always thought I could do ministry, have never had the attitude "Oh my, what do I do." So the air was, "I know my work." Some have taken my attitude as arrogant, and not very humble, which has never been my attitude. Basically, it was just the opposite.

Even today after all these years, some still think that I need to learn humility. I have been asked to learn humility. Well, if they only knew, how dependent upon the Lord I really am.
But I do not believe you need to act dumb and talk like you don’t know anything, or walk like Erkel. Some call me a smart mouth, or a smart aleck. Which I don’t believe I am either....I have a weird sense of humor.

Check your spiritual health, examine your daily activities, believe your report that is within you.. Listen to others, but in light of your spirit. You know in your spirit if you have pleased the Lord. And if you have, keep going.

So I will try to present a commentary that is fair and balanced. And try to keep an attitude that I really was glad to be in that place at that time, and loved the people and loved the church.


Drafted Charles E Whisnant October 19th 2006 Proof-read by Charity Whisnant
Posted October 21st

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...