What did I believe was necessary to be an effective preacher and pastor?
I have been a little side-tracked from our intended purpose of talking about our journey in ministry, but I believe the last several weeks have been important for our discussion.
We left off with our arrival in Altoona, Kansas in 1980 (10/04/06 #58)
I am not sure how I was introduced to the Basic Institute, but I remember going to my first Seminar. Monday thru Saturday. I was in shock on Monday thru Thursday. By Friday and Saturday I was in awe of the material I had just heard. And for the next twelve years I was very much a part of the ministry.
Much of what I taught on Wednesday nights, and in Bible Study came from the material I learned from the Seminar and All Day Ministers Seminar.
I still today believe much of the material for practical ministry.
What did I believe was necessary to be an effective preacher and pastor
I went to their site today, and they are doing well as I understand. They still have Basic Seminars.
Today you have those men who have live blogging from a conference. I took notes from the seminar and then came home and from my hand-written notes wrote a rather good set of notes, which I still have today.
The material from the All Day Ministers Seminars was different from any Seminar I had gone to. The material presented by Bill was not your conventional material for Church ministry. So when you first heard the principles set forth you questioned them.
When you had time to study the material, you realized how good they were. Over the years many of the thoughts were put into operation.
THE BASIC INSTITUTE OF YOUTH CONFLICT SEMINAR
In 1978 my father-in-law Bob Temple and I went to our first All Day Ministers Seminar, and the first one Bill had. There were less then 500 preachers present from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The last Seminar I went to there were over 3,000 men.
HERE ARE THE SUBJECT MATERIALS AT EACH OF THE SEMINARS I ATTENDED
THE ALL DAY MINISTERS SEMINAR......
In September 1978 in Chicago Ill.
- Building ten basic convictions through your messages
- Basic questions of divorced people
- How to meet the seven basic needs of a minister’s wife
- Seeds of disintegration
In March 1979 in Detroit MI
- Seven Basic Needs of a Husband
- Answers to the real question of a broken marriage
- Basic questions to determine root causes
- Facts and fiction about Homosexuality
September 1980 in Kansas City MO
- How to make your church a source of power
- Why the church has lost its influence
- How to make your worship service a source of spiritual power
- How to bind Satan and build a "hedge" of protection around your church and family
- How to overcome the power of temptation
- MEN’S INSTITUTE - CURRICULUM
- How to use precise questions in personal conferences to build spiritual maturity
- How to prepare sermons that change lives.
September 1981 in Kansas City MO.
- Five dangers of spiritual leadership
- Defilement of listening to evil reports
- How to overcome the power of sin
- HOW TO IDENTIFY SPIRITUAL GIFTS
- Seven requirements for a father to be a successful leader
- Dealing with discouragement
September 1982 in Kansas City MO
- Seven steps of overcoming sinful habits
- THREE SCRIPTURAL WAYS TO APPROACH CHURCH DISCIPLINE
- How to build without borrowing
- Biblical teaching on Divorce and Remarriage
- Misunderstood facts on separation of church and state
September 1983 in Kansas City Mo
- Seven ways to take when you receive criticism
- Twenty aspects of financial freedom
- Six purposes, keys to fulfillment in a marriage relationship
- Ten reactions of a wife in a marriage
- HOW TO TEACH SONS AND DAUGHTERS TO ‘STAND ALONE’
- How to recognize and resolve the special dangers surrounding the Pastor’s children
September 1984 in Kansas MO
- SEVEN BASIC ASPECTS OF FEEDING THE FLOCK
- Essential character qualities of Christ
- A STUDY METHOD OF PSALMS
- A METHOD OF STUDYING SCRIPTURE
- TRAINING FAITHFUL MEN
- SCRIPTURAL PRINCIPLES FOR EDUCATION
September 1985 #8 in Kansas City MO
- ADVANCE TRAINING INSTITUTE
- HOW TO TRACE SURFACE PROBLEMS
- SEVEN PHASES OF A GODLY COURTSHIP
- Meaning of the Wedding Covenants
- Recognizing the potential of building lives for God’s Kingdom
- Teaching of our children by God’s Wisdom
- BASIC PRINCIPLES OF MUSIC EVALUATION
February 1986 In Kansas City MO
- WISE COUNSELING TO USE TO GIVE LIGHT IN DIFFICULT SITUATION - MEDICAL RESOURCES.
- How eating habits of SHEEP reveal important insights on MEDITATION
February 1987 #10 in Kansas City, MO
- Pastor "BURNOUT" How to keep from "Burnout"
- How to meet the needs of the 2nd born.
- Making melody in your heart - 6 hours of music/story behind songs.
- NON-OPTIONAL PRINCIPLES OF LIFE
- Financial Freedom Video
- Reactions to God’s Truth
Training level is different.
- Getting people to see truth
1988 #11 in March 1988 in Kansas City MO
- TEN STEPS IN SETTING UP A YOUTH MINISTRY
- How to Work with the elderly Christians
- How do inherited traits affect the intensity of the temptation we experience
- How to evaluate your child
- How to conquer lust and habits
- How to know God’s will for daily decisions
1989 In March in Kansas City MO No. 11 and my last one.
- Ten unexpected causes of Church splits and how to avoid them
- Fruits of a Disciplined Life
- HITTING THE MARKS - Video. Seven Principles
- HOW TO TEACH OBEDIENCE FROM THE WORLD OF THE DUCK - Video
- Principles Behind Life Changing Messages - Charles Stanley
- Music Evolution
- How to answer questions on Dancing.
- The fruit of a disciplined life
- How to evaluate "civil disobedience"
SOME OF THE GREAT AND WONDERFUL BOOKS FROM THE IBYC MINISTRIES
- The Pineapple Story
- The Eagle Story
- Rebuilder’s Guide
- Men’s Manual Vol One
- Men’s Manual Vol Two - Financial
- Character Sketches Vol. One, Two and Three
- Life Notebook
SOME OF THE SUPPLEMENTARY ALUMNI BOOKLETS
- The Key to Freedom Under Authority
- Our Most Important Messages Grow Out of Our Greatest Weaknesses.
- Be Alert to Spiritual Danger.
- The Moral Conditions
- Why Did Rome Fall?
- Understanding the Winds of Adversity
- The Unexpected Enemy of Justice and Mercy
- Conquering Impossible "Mountains"
- Applying Basic Principles
- Is It Right to Try to Legislate Morality?
- THE SECRET OF SUCCESS
- The Overlooked Requirements for Riches, Honor and Life
- Humility and the Fear of the Lord]
- Understanding the Biblical Foundations of Marriage
- How to Understand Humanism
- How to Stand Along
- How to Make an Appeal
- How to Conquer Slothfulness
- The Rebuilder’s Guide
MAJOR PROJECTS Manual
- Basic Leadership Manual
The Advance Leadership Guide Manual
The Basic Church Ministry Guide Manual
Drafted by Charles E. Whisnant October 28th Proof Read by Charity October 30th