Saturday, August 12, 2006

MY CHARLES SPURGEON’S STORY

I have noticed many of the bloggers are posting Charles Spurgeon’s quotes on Saturday or Sunday,and some even post his sermons over a week or two. I believe this to be a great idea for sure. I remember my dad had a library full of Spurgeon’s Sermons. (I might add, Dad had Spurgeon’s Original 1858 sermon books) When he asked me to be the teacher of the Young People’s Sunday School Class when I was sixteen, I taught the book of Psalms and I read Spurgeon’s Treasury of David’s Series on Psalms. Then I was asked to preach in one of my dad’s friend’s church in North Carolina. Well, having read so much of Spurgeon, I thought that it would be a great idea to use one of Spurgeon’s Sermons. I didn’t know any better, nor did I know how to preach in the first place. I didn’t know Baptist preachers in Virginia and North Carolina didn’t know how to preach then either. They just preached loud, took a verse in the Bible and for the next thirty minutes chased a rabbit, got him cornered and almost killed him by stomping the pulpit, and running all over the auditorium, while at the same time the preacher would have that “mike sound”. You know-- at the end of every sentence, you got that Uh sound. I never liked that, so I thought I would preach one of Spurgeon’s Sermons. Well, after about an hour, I got the word to quit preaching. They said, “Where in the world did you learn to preach like that? That’s not preaching is it?” Spurgeon was not welcome in that church.

Would a Charles Spurgeon sermon be welcome to be preached in your church Sunday?
Drafted Charles E. Whisnant Proof Read Charity

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...