Thursday, August 10, 2006

THE CALL TO MINISTRY: The J. Frank Norris Story

I have tried to learn about that term used by some to say that God has asked us to preach. “Called.” In my early years that term was used a lot. Just about every fellowship meeting that my father took us to, there was a loud, tall, in-your- face preacher that would preach “Has God called you into the ministry to preach the Word.?” As a young boy, and saved, I believed that was a good question, so I would pray and ask the Lord if He had plans to call me into ministry some day {but not just yet.) Since dad was a pastor and we had a lot of evangelists come, they were always asking that question: “Has God called you to preach?” I always wondered how God called? By telephone!?

I remember in 1952, just before Dr. J. Frank Norris died, he came to our church and he stayed in our home. Before he left, he asked dad if he could pray for Don and me that God would call us to preach. He laid his hands on our heads and prayed as only Dr. Norris could pray-- loud. Well I was 5 years old, and I do remember that day, but had no idea what that prayer was all about, nor did I know who Dr. Norris was. . Maybe God was going to talk through Dr. Norris about this matter of calling Don and me to preach! .

Maybe God heard Dr. Norris pray that day, and was making plans to do just that when I grew a little older. There were a few others who came by our church and over to our house, and they were always saying, “Everette, are your boys going to be preachers?”

I have a picture of Dr. Norris preaching in Dad’s church. I wish I had the ability to put this in this post. . Maybe someday I’ll learn how to do it. My mother gave a copy of the picture to the J. Frank Norris Library at the Arlington Baptist College.
Drafted by Charles E. Whisnant Proof Read Charity

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...