Submission and Suffering
First Peter 3:8-9 10-12, 13-17 18-22
Overview of the chapter
Submission to Husbands: 1 to 6
A Word to Husbands: 7
Called to Blessing: 8-12
Suffering for Right and Wrong: 13-17
Christ's Suffering and Ours: 18-22
How To Have A Good Day: How To Love Life and See A Good Life: i.e. Living and Loving the Good Life?
These five virtues are to be normative qualities in the lives of the people of God, reflecting the attitude and example of Christ
having the right attitude
our duties to each other (8-9)
Harmonious, Sympathetic, Brotherly, Kindhearted, Humble in Spirit
- of one mind—as to the faith.We could say that Christians should be like a good choir. Each one sings with his own voice and some sing different parts, but everyone sings to the same music and in harmony with one another.
- having compassion one of another—Greek, “sympathizing” in the joy and sorrow of others.
- love as brethren—Greek, “loving the brethren.”
- pitiful—towards the afflicted.
- courteous—genuine Christian politeness; not the tinsel of the world’s politeness; stamped with unfeigned love on one side, and humility on the other. But the oldest manuscripts read, “humble-minded.” It is slightly different from “humble,” in that it marks a conscious effort to be truly humble.
Being saved, then, is not the end of God's plan for us; He would have us become like His Son (cf. Ro 8:29). To motivate us in fulfilling these duties, Peter quotes from the 34th Psalm...]
A. TO "BE OF ONE MIND" (NASV, "harmonious")...
John 17:20-21, Acts 4:32; John 5:30
B. TO HAVE "COMPASSION FOR ONE ANOTHER" (NASV, "sympathetic")...
Matthew 9:35-36, Hebrews 4:15
C. TO "LOVE AS BROTHERS"..
John 13:35; First John 4:30; First John 4:7-8
D. TO "BE TENDERHEARTED" (NASV, "kindhearted")...
Ephesians 4:22-24; 31-32; Colossians 3:8-10,12
E. TO "BE COURTEOUS" (NASV, "humble in spirit")...
F. TO "RETURN BLESSING FOR EVIL"..
MOTIVATION TO FULFILL THESE DUTIES (10-12)
A. THAT WE MIGHT "LOVE LIFE AND SEE GOOD DAYS".
B. SO THE LORD WILL BE OPEN TO US - 1Pe 3:12
Suffering for Righteousness’ Sake
8 Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, vbrotherly love, wa tender heart, and xa humble mind. 9 yDo not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, zbless, for ato this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing. 10 For “Whoever desires to love life and see good days,let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; 11 let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it. 12 For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer. But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”