Thursday, May 01, 2014

Charles e Whisnant, Preaching/Teaching

image                   Charles Youth Director RBT
April 27 2014  back to 1965

My Dad was an evangelist and preacher and pastor for 44 years before he died in 1966 at the age of 62 years old.  I had my first experience of teaching back in December 1964 when my Dad asked me to teach the Teenagers and College Career class, and since that time I have loved teaching the Bible.  Teaching and learning the Bible has been a passionate passion that I have had for a long time. 
Preaching, to me, has been about the message. I have focused on the content of the message.  I have been more concerned about what I say than how I say it.  I might say how I deliver the message has been of less concern than being sure that what I say is correct.
The one area of preaching that I am sure of is the content of the message. I want to make sure to the best of my ability that I know the meaning of the text that I am going to teach.  I make sure that I have made every effort of learning all that I can about the portion of scripture that is to be taught.  
What I seem to struggle with the most is the presentation of the message.  I can’t seem to have the full confidence that I have presented the message as well as I could.  How I speak, how I stand, etc. 
Some preachers spend a lot of time in their presenting the sermon and I know that is important, how you look and dress and act while you preach is important. 
Well, now for almost 50 years I am still in this mode of thinking, and maybe in a few years I will know how to present the sermon.  But as for the content I am rather confident that what I say is what I want the people to hear and believe and do, because I fully believe what I say is from the text of the Word of God.

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...