Monday, June 06, 2011

The Goal of Preaching or Teachng the Word Is?




"When I started in ministry, I committed myself to expository preaching, just explaining the Bible, because I knew that there was nothing I could say that was anywhere near as important as what God had to say. The real goal of ministry has always been to keep my own opinions out of it as much as possible. I never want to be guilty of giving people the illusion that they have heard from God when in fact they have only heard from me. When I step into the pulpit, the expectation is that I’m a messenger of God. I speak on His behalf, not my own."  John MacArthur


Every since I first heard John on tape back in 1972, the message was from Ephesians 4:12 I have learned from his ministry.  Then starting in 1982 when I went to the Shepherd Conference, where there were only 200 preachers, I started to learn how to teach the Word of God.

I am still learning today, I am about 50% there I think.  But I keep learning. 

Of course been a pastor is more then teaching and preaching, its learning how to pastor a flock of people over a period of time.  I still believe the best government of church ministry is found in the Grace Community Church where John is the pastor.

Its rather easy to read the manual on church ministry its a whole different ball game to put the principles into action.

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...