Friday, March 02, 2007

THREE YEARS ON THE INTERNET - SIX MONTHS BLOGOSPHERE

  • There is a tendency in this age to throw doctrinal truth into the shade. Too many preachers are offended with that stern truth which the Covenanters held, and to which the Puritans testified in the midst of a licentious age. We are told that the times have changed: that we are to modify these old (so-called) Calvinistic doctrines, and bring them down to the tone of the times; that, in fact, they need dilution, that men have become so intelligent that we must pare off the angles of our religion, and make the square into a circle by rounding off the most prominent edges. Any man who doth this, so far as my judgment goes, does not declare the whole counsel of God. The faithful minister must be plain, simple, pointed, with regard to these doctrines. There must be no dispute about whether he believes them or not. He must so preach them that his hearers will know whether he preaches a scheme of freewill or a covenant of grace—— whether he teaches salvation by works or salvation by the power and grace of God."
    Charles H. Spurgeon

THREE YEARS IN THE STUDY OF THE WORD

November 2003 I finally connected with the AOL and the Internet. In February 2004 I started my journey on the Internet on the study of Biblical Theology. And in August of 2006 entered my first blogosphere.

This journey was really forced upon me, due to losing my position as co pastor of a church in July 2003.. And having received this Gateway computer my journey was able to begin. I was introduced to monergism.com and John W. Hendryx, and the study and downloading of material began. Today I am still learning this study of Biblical theology.

I must say I learned more about theology in one year than in three years in Seminary. Having preached at FBC for sixteen years, and under the teaching of John MacArthur I was well familiarized with the doctrines of Scripture. Therefore I had a good foundation of learning enabling me to grasp yet another level of understanding the truth of God’s Word as I read the Scriptures.

I have always loved reading Christian books, and in the last twenty five years have loved the research of studying the Scripture as an expository teacher. What these last three years has done, has advanced my understanding of the Scriptures. What monergism.com has allowed me to do is to read various theologians of the present and of the past. This led to another few dozen websites that I have been able to log on for the same kind of research.

In August 2006 I joined the blogosphere. The blogosphere is an ultimate library, debate, and forum all rolled into one. The hundred or so blogs that I have wandered on to have been a valuable source of data that has ranged from theological discussions to Christian worldview on the culture of today, to preaching and sermon techniques, and keeping up with what preachers and teachers are doing in their churches and lives. It has truly been a fantastic journey.
  • The personal blogging that I have named: GROW BY LEARNING has given me an opportunity to learn to express my viewpoints and put down my story over the last fifty years.

  • Only my sixteen years experience as pastor/teacher at FBC has been more rewarding. There is not greater blessing then pastoring and teaching the Word of God to wonderful people who love to hear the Word of God taught.

Drafted by Charles E. Whisnant 03 07 Checked by Charity Whisnant

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...