Tuesday, December 19, 2006


STATEMENTS THAT PREACHERS MAKE ABOUT OTHER SERVANTS OF THE GOSPEL
"Nothing is clearer than 2 Timothy 3:16-4:2. If I ever want to hear "Well done, good and faithful servant" I will have to preach the word––just as it is clearly revealed, and without compromise. I must strive prayerfully and by God’s grace to keep it from being tainted by my culture." wrote Jim Harris over at Pulpit Magazine.

You know he is 100% correct. When was the last time you were at a Pastor’s Conference and heard a preacher get up and say, "I have no idea if what I am about to say is true, but I am going to preach tonight about sin. " Few, I would suspect, if any.

Most preachers I know, think what they know is correct, or they will not preach on the subject. They may say there are several opinions on this topic, like the Rapture, or the Great Tribulation, but they have their idea what they believe.

What I have learned over the last few years, that I didn’t know, is that there are a lot of theologians and teachers that totally disagree with my position on just about every thing that I believe. That was a total shock to my belief system. How could that be true?

For the first thirty years of my teaching ministry, I was quite confident that what I was teaching was 100% correct, well at least 80% possibly correct.

I would have never preached a single sermon that I really believed was not biblically correct. The people who heard me preach for years believed what I was preaching to be correct biblically.

What many, I would suppose, didn’t believe was maybe how I applied the principles that I was preaching. For example: I believed all Christians should read out of the KJV. I believed that certain music styles were not necessarily wrong but should not be played in church worship. And the big one, when people came to worship they should look their best. My wife and four children could mention several other ideas that they would disagree with.

I have certainly done my share of pointing out the error of others who didn’t hold my view point. I thought it was my pastor/shepherd’s responsibility to share information about the error of other preachers, organizations, and ministries. Except for ones I really liked I would be silent on.

I didn’t realize just how many theologian do not accept the book of Revelation as Prophecy.

I have always believed, (still do) that the events in Revelation have yet to happen

Premillenial, Pre-Tribulation, and Israel is not the Church. I never knew that others held a different point of view. Can you imagine that. Where was I..... in a theological cave? No, just reading my good KJV Bible.

There are an equal number of theologians who do not hold to dispensationalism. I didn’t know there were several forms of dispensationalism. I believed there were seven. But today I would get laughed at by many if I were to preach that pont of view.

Well, not only doctrinal teachings of the Bible are in question, but how we view the application to those doctrines.

I didn’t know there are some churches that are not Baptist Churches. Think of that! Well, I did of course, but we were told that they were not real churches. And if they were not WBF Baptist churches they were not real churches either. What a shock to learn that was not the truth.

So what is the truth of this whole matter.

"[They] are wrong in their practice of separation. Separation is a Bible doctrine. This means they are off-base doctrinally on separation. Music is a doctrinal issue and their music is wrong"
fundyreformed.wordpress.com is quoting. It’s not Bob’s position, but it’s the position of so many.

My children have believed I have always been wrong on my viewpoint of music. How could it be, when I went to all the Basic Institute of Youth Conflict for over fifteen years?

I should say this, I remember walking out of a service in a church, because I didn’t like the music. Even though the preacher was one of the best teaching preachers in the state.

Well, I could write several of those stories. But I don’t want to embarrass myself any more that I already do quite well anyway.

I didn’t know that some churches (not Baptist Churches) believe in infant baptism! There are theological terms for those who hold that position and terms for those who do not hold that idea. But I discovered that in both sides of this issue, they believe salvation is by grace in the Lord Jesus Christ!

Confession is good for the soul.
Drafted by Charles E. Whisnant, Proof Read by Charity

Featured Post

Did Jesus Die For All Men

Did Christ Die for all Men or Only His elect?   The following is a written response to a brother with the following question about l...